Convergence or Divergence: Analyzing [(3^-n)+(n^-1)] Series from n=1 to inf

• Thread starter BoldKnight399
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence or divergence of the series (3^-n)+(n^-1) from n=1 to infinity. The individual terms 3^-n and n^-1 are known to converge and diverge respectively, but it is unclear what happens when they are combined. The suggestion is to use the comparison test, as 1/n diverges from the integral test and 3^-n only makes the sum larger. It is also clarified that the question is about the series and not the sequence, as the sequence obviously converges to 0.
BoldKnight399
Ok, so the problem is [(3^-n)+(n^-1)] and I have to determine if it converges are diverges. from n=1 to inf. The problem is that individually I know that the 3^-n should converge and that n^-1 should diverge. But I don't understand what happens when your taking the series of the two combines. I think it would diverge, because of the n^-1, but I don;t know what test to prove it or if I even have the right idea. If anyone has any suggestions of a test to do, I tried the root test but found it to be 1 which is inconclusive, and I don't know where to go with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that 1/n diverges from the integral test, and that 3-n is only making the sum bigger, so it diverges.

Thank you so much. I just wasn't sure if you could do that.

To firm this up, if [tex] a_n = e^{-n} + n^{-1} [/tex] and [tex] b_n = n^{-1} [/tex].
you can use the comparison test to show that [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n [/tex] diverges.

By the way, it would have been clearer if you had stated from the start that the question was whether or not the series [itex]e^{-n}+n^{-1}[/itex] converges. Of course, the sequence obviously converges to 0 so everyone assumed you mean "series" but it was ambiguous which you meant.

1. What does it mean for a sequence or series to converge or diverge?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of a sequence or series towards a specific limit. A convergent sequence or series approaches a particular value as the number of terms increases, while a divergent sequence or series does not have a specific limit and may oscillate or grow without bound.

2. How can I determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, including the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the series towards a known convergent or divergent series and can help determine the convergence or divergence of a given series.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence occurs when a series converges regardless of the order in which the terms are arranged. In contrast, conditional convergence only occurs when the series converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order. For example, the alternating harmonic series is conditionally convergent, while the regular harmonic series is absolutely convergent.

4. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series cannot converge and diverge at the same time. A series can either converge or diverge, depending on its behavior towards a specific limit. However, a series can exhibit different types of convergence, such as absolute convergence or conditional convergence, as mentioned in the previous question.

5. How is the concept of convergence or divergence used in real-world applications?

The concept of convergence and divergence is used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and economics, to model and predict the behavior of systems. For example, in physics, the concept of convergence and divergence is essential in understanding the behavior of light rays and electric fields. In economics, the convergence and divergence of economic indicators are used to analyze and predict market trends.