Build a $100 Robotic Arm with CCD Motion Capture

• Thread starter tusavision
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm
In summary, the author is considering a cheap geared DC motor converted into a servo to control a robotic arm, and is considering a CCD active motion capture setup to supplement traditional positioning feedback. The author is also considering using bamboo as a material for the arm.
tusavision
http://builders.reprap.org/2009/09/bambot-bamboo-robot.html

I want to see this design move forward. Before I can work on the mechanical engineering aspects of the motors: I want to work on my position control system.

(Cheap geared DC motors like those from solarbotics/chinese drill motors seem ideal if I can convert them into servos somehow.

I'm also considering DIY worm wheels drawing from the astronomy or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_fluid between clutch plates to manage the holding torque issue with DC, but that's getting ahead of myself.)

Rather than going with the potentiometer/optical encoder positioning that seems popular on many systems/servos: for ultra-low budget reasons: I'm inclided to go with a CCD active motion capture setup wiimote style.

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/micro-wired-pinhole-color-audio-camera/

Now: If I put and IR filter on several of these cameras and affix them to the arm on each axis of movement: I imagine I can keep the robotic arm in a room with line of sight to multiple reference IR LEDs, and I can use this code:
http://code.google.com/p/lasertraq/

to translate the video feed into positional feedback on the arm.

I guess is what I'm looking for is suggestions/constructive criticism. Trouble you anticipate I might run into from your experience in such things. Not being a CS/Mechatronics expert, I have no experience to draw from on the: "in over my head" scale.

Flame away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Talked to several people about this. One thought I should use this motion capture technique to supplement traditional positioning feedback from an optical encoder. The other didn't have an opinion one way or the other but didn't see anything immediately wrong with the idea. Some discussion about the possibility of lag.

The "geckodrive" would be one option for controlling it, although: these solarbotics motors are so low voltage: that may be overkill.

It didn't stike me at first, but the idea of using bamboo as a material really tickels me. Competitive with acrylic, however universally available, and less brittle.

Can anyone offer a prediction on lag/anticipate any problems with this approach before I start sinking money into it?

Perhaps this is the wrong subforum? Can a moderator move me to Electical engineering or computer science? Something more relavent? I think the real issue at this point is an estimation of the lag that such a control system would have to deal with.

I think the ABB flexpicker robot uses image sensors for positioning - but with a traditional jointed arm it's going to be easier to just use encoders or encoders+inclinometers on the arm segments

I think you will need to consider what is available and easy enough for you to do. If you have serious equipment at your disposal and sufficient time, it would certainly be nice to work out a more advanced system. However having said that, you may want to consider starting at the low/easy end and then working your way up. From my experience with robotics/motion control (designed & built 4 different CNC routers/mills & 2 robotic arms), you may want to start off with simple RC servos. They are easy to control and take care of themselves. A step up from that would be a system with stepper motors & perhaps encoders (if you don't want to run this in open loop). The optical system sounds like overkill. The issue most likely with that would be accuracy/resolution but also complexity.
But good luck anyway.

1. What materials are needed to build a $100 robotic arm with CCD motion capture?

To build a $100 robotic arm with CCD motion capture, you will need a CCD camera, servo motors, microcontroller, wires, power source, and a frame or base to hold the components together.

2. How does CCD motion capture work in a robotic arm?

CCD motion capture uses a camera to track the movement of an object. In a robotic arm, the CCD camera is mounted on the arm and captures the location of markers on the arm as it moves. This information is then sent to the microcontroller, which controls the servo motors to move the arm accordingly.

3. Can the robotic arm be controlled remotely?

Yes, the robotic arm can be controlled remotely by using a wireless connection to the microcontroller. This can be done through a smartphone app or a computer program.

4. Is programming knowledge required to build and operate the robotic arm?

Some programming knowledge is required to build and operate the robotic arm. You will need to program the microcontroller to interpret the data from the CCD camera and control the servo motors. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn the necessary programming skills.

5. What can the robotic arm be used for?

The robotic arm can be used for a variety of tasks, such as picking and placing objects, drawing, or even playing games. It can also be used in educational settings to teach about robotics and programming. The possibilities are endless and can be customized based on your specific needs and interests.