Measuring 3 Phase Current: Tips for Determining Motor Draw

In summary: However, if the problem persists, it may be necessary to have a technician check the voltage and/or power factor.In summary, a 3-phase motor draws current that is 120 degrees out of phase. To determine the total current draw, you would use a clamp meter to measure the RMS current through each phase and add them up. If everything is balanced, all three legs should show the same amount of current. If there is an unbalanced voltage or power factor, then it may be necessary to have a technician check it.
chronic_mka
Hi, I have a question.
Suppose I have a motor that runs on 3 phase power. If I only wanted to find out the total amount of current that the motor draws, how would I go about doing that?

Would I just use a clamp meter to get the amount of current going through each phase and then add them up to get the total current that the motor draws?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Unfortunately, I'm not a power engineer and the last time I encountered these sorts of problems were in second year, nearly a decade ago. That said, you'll notice that the voltage (and hence current) waveforms are all 120 degrees out of phase:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_phase

Your clamp meter (usually) gives you an RMS value for current (though you can also get ones that give you the max and min), or, the equivalent DC current that would be have to flow to give the same power. With this in mind, you can add up the RMS currents per phase to determine total current consumption (what the power company would charge you).

EDIT: Hopefully, your currents per phase are fairly close, otherwise your motor (or the load) may be unbalanced!

If everything is balanced, all three legs should show the same amount of current (albeit, at different angles). In practice, this is not the case, so I usually just consider the highest current reading.

It is not uncommon for typical 3-phase supply voltages to be slightly unbalanced. this voltage unbalance will be reflected in per-phase current imbalance in the motor. It is acceptable & normal to see a few percent of per-phase current imbalance. Just take the average of the 3.

Power for a 3-ph motor = V(line-line) x I(per-phase avg) x 1.732(root of 3) x PF
PF is power-factor, which is the cosine of the phase angle between the applied voltage and the phase currents. For a small AC 3-ph motor, this will be between 0.75 and 0.90, depending on the load. The motor's full-load PF should be printed on the name-plate.

M

MThornton said:
It is not uncommon for typical 3-phase supply voltages to be slightly unbalanced. this voltage unbalance will be reflected in per-phase current imbalance in the motor. It is acceptable & normal to see a few percent of per-phase current imbalance. Just take the average of the 3.

Taking the average is okay, but I generally like to consider the highest reading when sizing components (wire, contactor, fuses, etc.). As things get older and worn (contact resistance, connection torque, insulation breakdown, etc.), they are likely to cause higher current in the motor, so I'd rather oversize a bit anyway. In most cases the average reading and the highest reading will yield the same results as far as component sizing, but when those results are "on the line" between one size and the next, I'd use "the next."

Note that more than a few percent (>5% roughly) of imbalance generally is unacceptable, and indicates a possible problem (especially in a new motor). Sometimes this can be due to an unbalanced voltage and rotating the motor wires may "even things out."

1. What is "Measure 3 Phase current"?

"Measure 3 Phase current" is a method used to determine the amount of electric current flowing through a three-phase power system. It involves measuring the current in each of the three phases separately and combining them to get the total current.

2. Why is it important to measure 3 Phase current?

Measuring 3 Phase current is important for several reasons. It allows us to monitor the health and performance of the electrical system, detect imbalances or faults in the system, and ensure that the current is evenly distributed among the three phases.

3. How is 3 Phase current measured?

3 Phase current can be measured using a variety of instruments such as clamp meters, digital multimeters, and power analyzers. These instruments use different techniques such as Hall-effect, Rogowski coil, and current transformers to measure the current in each phase.

4. What are the units of measurement for 3 Phase current?

The units of measurement for 3 Phase current are amperes (A) or milliamperes (mA). These units represent the amount of electric current flowing through the system at a given time.

5. What are the potential risks involved in measuring 3 Phase current?

Measuring 3 Phase current can be dangerous if not done properly. It involves working with high voltage electricity, so it is important to use proper safety precautions and equipment. It is also important to have a good understanding of electrical systems and how to handle the equipment to avoid potential hazards.