If sleep were not required, but just optional, would you ever sleep?

• Thread starter Richard87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary: I wouldn't, there's too much to do. If sleep were not required, it probably wouldn't feel so good, so probably not, no. I don't think that I would ever want to not sleep because it feels really good when I do. In summary, if sleep were not required, it would probably not feel so good and it would be more difficult to be productive.
if it comes to me id sleep more especially for the marvelous dreams

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you sleep if you can't be tired?
If you can set your sleep-time then I'd try to sleep say for more than 24 hours and then wake up. If I prefer dreams than reality I'd go in a hospital so that I get intravenous food/water and would sleep all my life.

i think the question is "don't you hate having the need to sleep sometimes?"

yes, sometimes i can't get why i have to spend half of my life resting in bed
i tried things like sleeping 15 minutes many times along the day or that stupid things... them didnt work :P

50% would be great..

Richard87 said:
If sleep were not required, but just optional (you didn't get tired), would you ever sleep? I can say that I'd sleep much less often, if ever.

If I didn't need sleep to function or retain knowledge, I wouldn't sleep at all. Ever.

viko said:
yes, sometimes i can't get why i have to spend half of my life resting in bed
i tried things like sleeping 15 minutes many times along the day or that stupid things... them didnt work :P

I've looked into some of those alternative sleep schedules (e.g., polyphasic sleep), but I've never actually tried them out. However, I've discovered that I can get by with less sleep at night if I can fit a nap or two in during the day. The total sleep time (naps + night sleep) is typically less than a full night's sleep and I seem to manage just fine.

lurky said:
If you could suddenly undergo some procedure that would utterly and completely remove your need for sleep, would you do it?

My answer: Absolutely.

I absolutely agree.

Evo said:
I'd sleep just for the dreams.

I've never had interesting dreams. My brain doesn't appear to "suspend belief"--I can't even enjoy movies or books that are too fictitious...if I watch TV, it's a documentary or the like, definitely no science fiction--so nothing other than very ordinary, could-happen-in-real-life-any-day-of-the-week dreams ever occur. Very boring.

I think I wouldn't. There would be so much I could do if I didn't have to sleep since lots of time would be saved.