What Type of Singularity is z=1 in the Function (z^2-1)/(z-1)^2?

• Thread starter csnsc14320
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point Type
In summary, the indicated point is a pole of order 2. The function can be simplified to (z+1)/(z-1) and the singularity can be classified as a pole based on the value of f(1) not being equal to zero. The full Laurent series can also be shown by writing the function as (2-(1-z))/(1-z).
csnsc14320

Homework Statement

Say whether the indicated point is regular, an essential singularity, or a pole, and if a pole of what order it is.

[tex]\frac{z^2-1}{(z-1)^2}, z = 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I'm just sort of stuck on how to put this into a laurent series - I can't seem to expand the denominator in a series about 1 because I keep getting infinity :(

any hints or suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to do a full Laurent series. Just factor the numerator and denominator and simplify.

Dick said:
You don't have to do a full Laurent series. Just factor the numerator and denominator and simplify.

i found that it reduces to [tex]\frac{z+1}{z-1}[/tex] but again don't I have to expand this and i have the same problem?

I don't believe it reduces to (z+1)/(z-1). Did you enter the problem wrong? If not, try that again and show you did it.

Dick said:
I don't believe reduces to (z+1)/(z-1). Did you enter the problem wrong? If not, try that again and show you did it.

oops! it should read

[tex]\frac{z^2-1}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

csnsc14320 said:
oops! it should read

[tex]\frac{z^2-1}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

Ok, now I believe you. Now that has the form f(z)/(z-1) where f(z)=z+1. f(1) is not zero. You can classify the singularity just using that. It's also pretty easy to show the full Laurent series if you don't believe me. Write it as (2-(1-z))/(1-z).

1. What is the meaning of "Identifying Point Type: z=1"?

"Identifying Point Type: z=1" refers to the process of determining the specific type of a data point in a given dataset. The "z=1" indicates that the data point is located one standard deviation away from the mean of the dataset, which is often used as a measure of how extreme or rare the data point is compared to the rest of the dataset.

2. How is "Identifying Point Type: z=1" calculated?

"Identifying Point Type: z=1" is calculated by first finding the mean and standard deviation of the dataset. Then, the z-score of the data point is calculated by subtracting the mean from the data point and dividing by the standard deviation. A z-score of 1 indicates that the data point is one standard deviation away from the mean.

3. What does a z-score of 1 indicate about a data point?

A z-score of 1 indicates that the data point is one standard deviation away from the mean of the dataset. This means that the data point is considered to be slightly above average or rare compared to the rest of the dataset.

4. What are the different types of point types that can be identified with z-scores?

Some of the different point types that can be identified with z-scores include outliers, extreme values, and influential points. These are data points that are significantly different from the rest of the dataset and can have a significant impact on the overall analysis.

5. How can "Identifying Point Type: z=1" be useful in scientific research?

"Identifying Point Type: z=1" can be useful in scientific research as it allows researchers to identify and analyze data points that are significantly different from the rest of the dataset. This can help in identifying potential errors, outliers, or important patterns in the data, leading to more accurate and reliable research findings.