Finding an unknown charge in a system of discrete point charges.

In summary, two point particles with charges of 15.0 µC and q are located at x = 0, y = 0 and x = 12.0 cm, y = 0 respectively. The electric force on a third point particle with a charge of 6.0 µC at x = 24.0 cm, y = 0 is -(19.7) N \hat{i}. When this 6.0-µC charge is repositioned at x = 17.8 cm, y = 0, the electric force on it is zero. The question asks to determine the charge q. However, the problem appears to be over-defined and the results are controversial. The method of
Zift
A point particle that has a charge of 15.0 µC is located at x = 0, y = 0 (we'll call it q0 and a point particle that has a charge q is located at x = 12.0 cm, y = 0 (we'll call it q1. The electric force on a point particle that has a charge of 6.0 µC at x = 24.0 cm, y = 0 is -(19.7) N [tex]\hat{i}[/tex] (we'll call it q2. When this 6.0-µC charge is repositioned at x = 17.8 cm, y = 0, the electric force on it is zero. Determine the charge q.

First I tried to equate the electric force on q2 to the vector of the forces on q2 due to q0 and q1 using coulomb's law and then solve for q1, but this does not yield the correct value. I have been able to do all the other problems in the section on discrete charge distributions, but I'm completely stumped on this one. I also tried to do the same procedure but with the electric force on q2 equal to zero as indicated in the last sentence and but its yields a different (and still incorrect) value. what am I doing wrong. Am i missing something? Is there crucial information I should be deriving from the last sentence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem looks over-defined, and I also found the results controversial.

ehild

I would approach this problem by first identifying all of the known variables and equations that can be used to solve for the unknown charge q. In this case, we have three point charges (q0, q1, and q2) with known positions and charges, and an electric force acting on q2 at two different positions. We can use Coulomb's law to calculate the electric force between two point charges, and we also know that the electric force is a vector quantity.

From the given information, we can set up the following equations:

1) Electric force on q2 at x = 24.0 cm, y = 0: F = k(q2)(q0)/r^2 + k(q2)(q1)/(24.0 cm)^2

2) Electric force on q2 at x = 17.8 cm, y = 0: F = k(q2)(q0)/r^2 + k(q2)(q1)/(17.8 cm)^2

We also know that the electric force on q2 at x = 17.8 cm, y = 0 is zero, so we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for q1:

k(q2)(q0)/r^2 + k(q2)(q1)/(24.0 cm)^2 = k(q2)(q0)/r^2 + k(q2)(q1)/(17.8 cm)^2

Simplifying and solving for q1, we get:

q1 = (24.0 cm)^2/(17.8 cm)^2 * q0

Plugging in the known values for q0 (15.0 µC) and q1 (6.0 µC), we can solve for q2:

q2 = (17.8 cm)^2/(24.0 cm)^2 * (15.0 µC)/(6.0 µC) = 10.5 µC

Therefore, the unknown charge q is 10.5 µC.

It is important to note that in this problem, we are assuming that the system of discrete point charges is in equilibrium, meaning that the net force on any point charge is zero. This assumption is crucial in solving the problem and may be the reason why your previous attempts did not yield the correct value for q. Additionally, the last sentence in the problem statement (stating that the electric force

What is the process for finding an unknown charge in a system of discrete point charges?

The process for finding an unknown charge in a system of discrete point charges involves using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you determine the direction of the electric field at a point in a system of discrete point charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point in a system of discrete point charges is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience at that point. The direction of the electric field is always away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

What is the principle of superposition and how does it relate to finding an unknown charge in a system of discrete point charges?

The principle of superposition states that the total electric field at a point in space is equal to the vector sum of the electric fields produced by each individual charge in the system. This principle allows us to find the unknown charge by calculating the electric field at a point and setting it equal to the sum of the electric fields produced by the known charges.

What is the formula for calculating the electric field at a point in a system of discrete point charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field at a point in a system of discrete point charges is E = k * Q / r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the charge.

Can the method for finding an unknown charge in a system of discrete point charges be extended to continuous charge distributions?

Yes, the method for finding an unknown charge in a system of discrete point charges can be extended to continuous charge distributions by breaking the distribution into small discrete charges and applying the principle of superposition. As the size of the discrete charges approaches zero, the result will approach the true value for the continuous distribution.