Velocity of Sound, speed of rock and return of sound

In summary, the problem involves a rock being thrown vertically towards a bell 50m away and the bell ringing 4.5 seconds later. The speed of sound is given as 330m/s. Using the equation d=v/t, the time it took for the sound to return from hitting the bell is found to be 0.1515 seconds. To find the velocity of the rock, the time it takes for the sound to travel must be subtracted from the total time of 4.5 seconds. The final answer for the velocity of the rock is 11.5 m/s.
Chrisss

Homework Statement

Rock is thrown vertically towards a bell 50m away, you hear the bell ring 4.5 seconds later, how fast was the rock travelling, assuming the speed of sound is 330m/s

Homework Equations

d=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I like to draw my questions out, then fill in the data, so i'll do that first, if you don't wish to see it please scroll down a bit
4.5 seconds for return of sound
<-----------------
--------------------bell
^Starting position 50m
Speed of sound 330m/s
Distance 50m
4.5 seconds for sound to return from throwing it

Now, first I wanted to find how long it would take the sound to get back after it hit the bell so I looked for time
T = D/V

T=50m / 330mps
0.15151515s

I then tried to find the velocity it would take for the rock to reach the bell on it's own,
so I looked for the time again, from which I could distract the time it took for the sound from

V = D/T
V = 50m / 4.5s
V = The rock was going for 11.11111mps IF the sound was instantaneous, I've no idea how to subtract 0.15151515s from 11.11111mps

I don't know if I missed something during instruction, but I've just started physics and this could be stupid, but I've no clue where to go from here.

The answer for checking your answer is 11.5mps

Physics news on Phys.org
hi Chrisss, welcome to PF.
Time taken by the stone to strike the bell is ( 4.5 - 0.1515) s
Now find the velocity of the stone.

1. What is the velocity of sound?

The velocity of sound is the speed at which sound waves travel through a medium. In air at room temperature, the velocity of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. How does the speed of rock affect the return of sound?

The speed of rock does not directly affect the return of sound. The return of sound, or echo, is caused by the reflection of sound waves off of a surface. The speed of sound in the medium in which the rock is located will determine how quickly the sound waves can travel back to the listener.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of sound?

The velocity of sound can be affected by several factors, including the density, temperature, and humidity of the medium through which it is traveling. The velocity of sound is also dependent on the type of material the sound is traveling through, as different materials have different molecular structures that can affect the speed of sound.

4. Why does the speed of sound differ in different mediums?

The speed of sound differs in different mediums because of the physical properties of the material. Factors such as molecular structure, density, and temperature can all affect the speed of sound in a given medium. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids or gases due to the closer proximity of molecules in solids.

5. How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured using various methods, such as the time it takes for an echo to return or the frequency of a sound wave. It can also be calculated using the formula v = fλ, where v is the velocity of sound, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. Special instruments, such as sonar or a sound speed profiler, can also be used to measure the speed of sound in a particular medium.