Finding Angular Frequency of Small Oscillations about an Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular frequency of small oscillations about an equilibrium point where theta is equal to zero. The potential energy equation is given, and the attempt at a solution using it is discussed but deemed incorrect due to different units of the two k values. The conversation then suggests converting the Lagrangian equation of motion into the characteristic differential equation for simple harmonic motion, taking into account the smallness of theta^3 compared to theta.
Oijl

Homework Statement

Consider a system of one generalized coordinate theta, having the following Lagrangian equation of motion:

r and b are constants
m is mass

(1/3)mb[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] = r(r+b)[tex]\theta[/tex] + r[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{3}[/tex] + gr[tex]\theta[/tex]

And this potential energy (if it matters):

U = mg(r+b) - mgr[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

There is an equilibrium point where theta is equal to zero.

Find the angular frequency of small oscillations about [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the potential energy, can't I just say

U = (1/2)k[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
where
k = 2mgr
so that I can write
[tex]\omega[/tex] = (k/m)^(1/2)
[tex]\omega[/tex] = (2gr)^(1/2)
and call that the angular frequency?

But the problem asks me to do it the Lagrangian way.

So
[tex]\omega[/tex] = (2[tex]\pi[/tex])/[tex]\tau[/tex]

How can I find tau?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oijl said:
Using the potential energy, can't I just say

U = (1/2)k[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
where
k = 2mgr
so that I can write
[tex]\omega[/tex] = (k/m)^(1/2)
[tex]\omega[/tex] = (2gr)^(1/2)
and call that the angular frequency?

Clever, but it's not right. You can see this by comparing the units of U=(1/2)kx^2 with those of U = (1/2)k[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]: both U's have the same unit, both x doesn't have the same unit as theta, so the two k's must have different units. That means the equation omega=(k/m)^1/2 is not correct.

To start, do you know the characteristic differential equation for simple harmonic motion? Try to get the Lagrangian equation of motion into that form, remembering that theta^3 is much smaller than theta for small values of theta.

1. What is the definition of angular frequency?

Angular frequency refers to the rate at which a system oscillates or rotates around a central point. It is measured in radians per second and is denoted by the symbol ω.

2. How is angular frequency related to frequency?

Angular frequency is directly proportional to frequency, with the constant of proportionality being 2π. This means that as the angular frequency increases, so does the frequency, and vice versa.

3. How is angular frequency calculated?

Angular frequency can be calculated using the formula ω = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the oscillating object. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency.

4. What is the significance of angular frequency in small oscillations?

In small oscillations, the angular frequency plays a crucial role in determining the amplitude and period of the oscillations. It is also used to calculate other important parameters, such as energy and velocity.

5. How does angular frequency affect the stability of a system?

The stability of a system is directly influenced by the angular frequency. A higher angular frequency leads to a more stable system, while a lower angular frequency can result in instability and chaotic behavior.