How to let the cold work shape memory alloy to acquire shape memory properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of heat treating Nitinol wire to acquire shape memory properties. The speaker's supervisor suggests heat treatment at 700 degrees Celsius followed by quenching in ice water. However, the speaker encountered a problem where the wire did not return to its preset shape after being deformed and placed in hot water. The possible solution, according to the speaker, is to make sure to bend the wire back to its original shape after the heat treatment process. Another person in the conversation suggests a different method of winding and running a current through the wire until it relaxes.
fernacea
I have a cold work Nitinol wire, my supervisor ask me to do heat treatment at 700 degree celcius after that quench in ice water.He tell me that after heat treatment, the wire will acquire the shape memory properties, but i have repeat for few sample the wire could not function. when i put the deform wire inside the hot water,it not back to their preset shape. what is the problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Years ago I played around with Nitinol. It worked great!
What might have happened is that you forgot a step.

Step1: Take a straight piece of Nitinol wire and bend it, say in half.
Step2: Keeping it bent, say, with a pair of pliers, heat it to the required temp.
Step3: After cooled down, BEND IT BACK TO A STRAIGHT WIRE or any other shape.
Step4: Toss that wire into hot water and it will snap back to the "bent" shape of Steps 1&2

Perhaps you missed step 3

I found it possible to be quite crude about it.
I first wound the shape and clamped it, then ran a current through the wire until it relaxed. It did glow red.

1. How does the cold work process affect the shape memory properties of an alloy?

The cold work process involves subjecting an alloy to compressive or tensile stress at low temperatures, which increases its dislocation density and alters its microstructure. This results in an increase in the alloy's strength and changes its shape memory properties, making it more suitable for shape memory applications.

2. What is the ideal temperature for cold working a shape memory alloy?

The ideal temperature for cold working a shape memory alloy depends on the composition of the alloy and its intended application. In general, the temperature should be below its recrystallization temperature, typically between 0-30 degrees Celsius, to achieve the desired changes in microstructure and shape memory properties.

3. Can any type of alloy be cold worked to acquire shape memory properties?

No, not all alloys are suitable for cold working to acquire shape memory properties. Shape memory alloys must have a specific composition, typically a combination of nickel and titanium, to exhibit the shape memory effect. Additionally, the composition and processing of the alloy must be carefully controlled to achieve the desired shape memory properties.

4. What are the other factors that can influence the shape memory properties of an alloy?

Apart from cold work, other factors that can influence the shape memory properties of an alloy include its composition, heat treatment, and processing techniques. These factors can affect the microstructure, phase transformation temperatures, and mechanical properties of the alloy, which all play a role in its shape memory behavior.

5. Is it possible to reverse the shape memory effect in a cold worked alloy?

Yes, the shape memory effect in a cold worked alloy can be reversed by heating it above its transformation temperature. This will cause the alloy to return to its original shape, even after being deformed. The transformation temperature can be adjusted through heat treatment to suit the specific application of the alloy.