Internships/Co-ops for Elec. Engineering - Necessary?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter GeoMike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the individual is a full-time student pursuing an electrical engineering degree with a 4.0 GPA, military background, and solid work experience, but has been unable to secure an internship or co-op despite applying and receiving recommendations from career services and coordinators. They suspect their age may be a factor and seek advice on how to improve their chances of landing an internship and avoiding disadvantage in the job market if they are unable to get one. Suggestions include seeking feedback on their resume, networking, and addressing potential over-qualification.
GeoMike
Hello, I hope someone can offer me some advice:
I am currently enrolled full-time and working toward an electrical engineering (BSEE) degree at my local university. I'm finishing up the second year of the program this year and I've been trying like crazy to get accepted for an internship or co-op. However, no matter what I do I cannot even get a call-back for an interview.
I'm carrying a 4.0 GPA and have received a few scholarships. I also have a military background in electronics and a solid work history of 10 years with supervisory experience. All of which is noted clearly on my resume. I've had my resume looked at by the EE department chair and our co-op/intership coordinator, neither of which have been able to see any problems with the resume.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if there simply weren't co-op/internship opportunities to be had, but there are. We're a small department, and our coordinator posts jobs regularly (and I apply for them when they are posted) - yet it always ends up being someone else in my class who gets the internship (or at least a call-back). I'm near, if not at, the top of my class, and I have a solid work history. I don't understand why people less qualified than me are getting these internships while I can't even get a single call-back, much less an interview. I put so much time and effort into my studies. I'm even a student member of IEEE and am active in my college's student group.

I'm 32 and I'm really starting to wonder if it is an issue with my age. I honestly can't think of anything else it could be (neither can my college's internship coordinator, who has gone as far as to recommend me to employers when they call with job opportunities). I truly hope not.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

And, if for some reason I cannot get any internship/co-op experience prior to my graduation is this going to kill my chances of finding employment? I feel like like I'll be at a huge disadvantage compared to those students who had internships.

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can keep the grades, you shouldn't have a problem finding employment as an engineer. There is always next year for an internship too. Age might be an issue, but it could also be your resume or cover letters. You might want to find more critics to take a look at your resume... your career services department, any managers you know or anyone in HR, etc. Make sure you find some example resumes too.

Another thing could be that you might come across as overqualified or too expensive for an internship. I have no idea if that's the case or not, but if it is you might be able to tweak your resume or cover letters to address it. My only other advice would be to network like crazy. The more personal contacts you can make with alumni etc, the better your odds will be of getting an interview.

Good luck.

But 32 is not old, at all. How can anything below 50 be an issue?

It seems that over-qualification can be an issue. I have heard cases of some HR departments having a habit trying to interview those candidates close to their job requirements, especially when the number of applications is very large. This cuts down their work. Another reason may be that over-qualified candidates tend not to stay long.

First of all, I understand your frustration and disappointment in not being able to secure an internship or co-op position in your field. It sounds like you have a strong academic background and relevant work experience, so it is understandable that you are questioning why you are not getting any call-backs for interviews.

To answer your main question, are internships/co-ops necessary for electrical engineering? The short answer is no, they are not absolutely necessary. However, they can greatly enhance your chances of finding employment after graduation. Here's why:

1. Gain practical experience: While your academic coursework is important, internships and co-ops allow you to apply what you have learned in a real-world setting. This hands-on experience can be valuable to potential employers and can make you stand out among other candidates.

2. Network: Internships and co-ops provide an opportunity to network with professionals in your field. This can lead to potential job opportunities and references in the future.

3. Develop new skills: Internships and co-ops often involve working on projects or tasks that may not be covered in your academic coursework. This allows you to expand your skill set and make yourself a more well-rounded candidate for future job opportunities.

4. Gain industry knowledge: Working in a professional setting allows you to learn about the industry and its trends, which can be valuable information when applying for jobs after graduation.

Now, to address your specific situation, it is possible that your age may be a factor in not getting call-backs for interviews. However, I would not jump to that conclusion without further evidence. It could also be a matter of timing or the specific qualifications that the employers are looking for. I would suggest reaching out to the employers directly and asking for feedback on your application. This can give you a better understanding of why you were not selected for an interview and what you can improve on for future opportunities.

In terms of your future job prospects, not having an internship or co-op experience will not necessarily "kill" your chances of finding employment. However, as mentioned before, it can greatly enhance your chances. If you are unable to secure an internship or co-op before graduation, I would suggest seeking out other opportunities to gain practical experience, such as participating in research projects or taking on relevant projects outside of your academic coursework. Additionally, make sure to highlight your military background and work experience in your job applications, as these are valuable assets that can set you apart from other candidates.

Overall, internships

1. What are the benefits of completing an internship or co-op as an electrical engineering student?

Completing an internship or co-op allows students to gain practical experience in their field, apply their theoretical knowledge to real-world projects, and build professional skills. It also provides an opportunity to network with professionals in the industry and potentially secure a job upon graduation.

2. Is it necessary to complete an internship or co-op in order to be successful in the field of electrical engineering?

While it is not mandatory to complete an internship or co-op, it can greatly enhance a student's understanding and expertise in the field. It can also make a candidate more competitive and attractive to potential employers.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are required for internships or co-ops in electrical engineering?

The specific skills and qualifications required for internships or co-ops may vary depending on the specific company or position. However, most companies look for students with a strong academic background, knowledge of relevant software and programming languages, and good communication and teamwork skills.

4. How can I find internships or co-ops in the field of electrical engineering?

There are various ways to find internships or co-ops in electrical engineering, such as through job search websites, your university's career center, networking events, and personal connections. It is also beneficial to reach out to companies directly to inquire about internship or co-op opportunities.

5. Are internships and co-ops only available for students in their final year of study?

No, internships and co-ops are available for students at all levels of study. Some companies may prefer students in their final year, but there are also opportunities for students in earlier years to gain practical experience and develop their skills.