Finding acceleration using kinetic friction, final velocity, weight, and force

In summary, the problem involves a man pushing a chair with a known weight and a given force, resulting in a final speed and a coefficient of kinetic friction. The goal is to find the acceleration of the chair, which can be calculated by finding the frictional force and dividing it by the mass of the chair.
wowdusk

Homework Statement

A man pushes a chair that weighs 60N with a force of 25N. The chair has a final speed of 4.0m/s. and a kinetic friction of .27. What is the acceleration?

Homework Equations

i have no idea where to start, i tired this formula that had me find distance but the acceleration on the bottom doesn't rely on the velocity on the top so i figured it was wrong
possibly: x=(Vx^2-Vox^2)/(2ax)?!

The Attempt at a Solution

it seems as if i am missing information/parts
after substituting everything into get the distance i got 5.5633m, but this question doesn't even ask for distance. I spent already over 4 hours on this 1 problem and still no luck, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
F = ma right?

So find the frictional force on the chair (coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied to the normal force) and divide by the mass of the chair. That will give you the deceleration of the chair after the man stops pushing on it.

What is the formula for finding acceleration using kinetic friction, final velocity, weight, and force?

The formula for finding acceleration using kinetic friction, final velocity, weight, and force is a = (F - μk * mg)/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the applied force, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you determine the coefficient of kinetic friction?

To determine the coefficient of kinetic friction, you can conduct an experiment by moving the object with a constant velocity and measuring the force needed to keep it moving. The coefficient of kinetic friction can then be calculated by dividing the applied force by the weight of the object.

What is the role of final velocity in finding acceleration?

The final velocity is necessary in the formula for finding acceleration because it represents the change in velocity of the object due to the applied force and frictional force. Without the final velocity, it would be impossible to determine the acceleration of the object.

Can you find acceleration using only the weight and force?

No, in order to find acceleration using weight and force, you also need to know the coefficient of kinetic friction and the final velocity. Without these values, the formula for acceleration cannot be accurately calculated.

What factors can affect the accuracy of finding acceleration using these variables?

The accuracy of finding acceleration using these variables can be affected by several factors, such as the surface of the object, the surface it is moving on, the presence of other forces, and the accuracy of the measurements taken. It is important to conduct the experiment carefully and accurately to obtain reliable results.