Un zipping files compatible with suse 9.1?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the best program to use for unzipping files compatible with Suse 9.1 is unzip. It can be found in YaST by searching using the keyword "unzip" and its default behavior is to extract the file in the current directory. Alternatively, Winrar is also a good option as it can handle various file formats and allows the user to control which types it is associated with, but it is not free.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
can anyone suggest the best program to use for un zipping files compatible with suse 9.1?
thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd be surprised if you don't have one installed already. From the command line type

unzip file to unzip

you can type

man unzip from the terminal to get the switches. Default behavior is to extract the file you are trying to unzip in the current directory though.

If you don't have unzip, you can find it in YaST by searching using the keyword unzip.

Good luck.

faust9
Thanks i will give it a try.

wolram said:
can anyone suggest the best program to use for un zipping files compatible with suse 9.1?
thanks.

What's suse 9.1?

I like winrar for unzipping files.

It understands rar, zip, cab, arj, lzh, ace, tar, gzip, uue, bz2, jar, and iso formats, and the user can control which of the above file types iit's associated with.

The only problem with it is that its not free.

Suse 9.1 is a Linux Distro. It's completely and totally different than Windows in every way shape and form.

Bar it runs on computer hardware and is coded in C (or some C varient)

:yuck:

What does it mean to "unzip" a file?

"Unzipping" a file refers to the process of extracting the contents of a compressed file, usually with the ".zip" extension, so that they can be accessed and used on your computer.

Are zip files compatible with SUSE 9.1?

Yes, SUSE 9.1 supports the use of zip files. However, you may need to install additional software, such as the "unzip" utility, to be able to extract the files.

How do I unzip a file in SUSE 9.1?

To unzip a file in SUSE 9.1, you can use the "unzip" command in the terminal or right-click on the zip file and select "Extract Here" or "Extract to..." depending on your desktop environment.

Can I zip files in SUSE 9.1?

Yes, SUSE 9.1 also allows you to create zip files using the "zip" command in the terminal or by compressing files or folders through the right-click menu.

What other file compression formats does SUSE 9.1 support?

SUSE 9.1 supports various file compression formats, including gzip, bzip2, tar, and xz. You can use the appropriate command or utility to extract or create files in these formats.