Hydraulics - does this circuit work?

In summary, the circuit was all good, and a real engineer told the OP that it was fine. However, the OP's eyes may not have been drawn to the detail, and he is still under the same tree and rousing from his sleep.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello there,

I have designed a machine which requires a double-acting hydraulic cylinder. I need someone to let me know if this attached circuit works, if not why not, and whether there is a better way of doing it! The fluid will return to tank for about two thirds of the time the machine is switched on. Will my pump be happy? Do I need a reasonable load so that my motor does not turn into a massive 30kW electric heater? Help on this circuit would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• hydraulic circuit 1.GIF
    hydraulic circuit 1.GIF
    4.3 KB · Views: 574
Engineering news on Phys.org
The symbols are unfamiliar to me, but... knowing you, it probably won't work. Cat did hire your for your looks, right? :tongue:

looks like a cartoon character :P

Pengwuino said:
looks like a cartoon character :P
Yeah. I'm not sure what that big eyeball is looking at, but it certainly seems intent.

rofl yah, i immediately thought "whos eyeball is that"

Hey Brewnog, I don't see a problem with this circuit. Most hydraulic RV's are designed to be able to handle constant use (unlike gasseous ones) so having the pump go through the RV on every cycle is fine. If you have any concerns, I'm sure the folks selling the equipment can take a look for you, but from the little I know it's fine as is.

Q_Goest said:
Hey Brewnog, I don't see a problem with this circuit. Most hydraulic RV's are designed to be able to handle constant use (unlike gasseous ones) so having the pump go through the RV on every cycle is fine. If you have any concerns, I'm sure the folks selling the equipment can take a look for you, but from the little I know it's fine as is.

Oh god, that's like when some people throw a bucket of paint on the wall and start interpretting the 'art' of it and I am just sitting there crying because i don't know what there talking about.

I strongly suspect that Mr. Goest didn't note the time differential between the original post and my response to it. :biggrin:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, BREWSKI! :smile:
11th, that is. I just had to do it now so that nobody pre-empts me.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, so you were waiting the entire year before you all answered my question! :smile:

As you can see, art isn't my strong point. However, the circuit was all good, a real engineer told me so!

I strongly suspect that Mr. Goest didn't note the time differential between the original post and my response to it.
LOL, yep! My eyes never wandered onto that detail.

Looks like the OP kept well though, didn't get all stinky and rotton yet.

- And look! There's Brewnog, still under the same tree and rousing from his sleep! Perhaps he needs a shave and a cold beer, but it seems his mind is still sharp as ever.

brewnog said:
Ahhhh, so you were waiting the entire year before you all answered my question! :smile:
Hey, I've only been here since February. It's not my fault that everyone else ignored you for 6 months before that. As for me, I just found the thread whilst wandering about aimlessly.

Danger said:
Hey, I've only been here since February. It's not my fault that everyone else ignored you for 6 months before that. As for me, I just found the thread whilst wandering about aimlessly.

Slightly ironic really. I came here originally looking for some help. I didn't get any, but instead got sucked in and ended up being a helper-outer instead. Oh well.

brewnog said:
I came here originally looking for some help. I didn't get any, but instead got sucked in and ended up being a helper-outer instead.
I'm familiar with the concept. I came looking for help, didn't get any, ran into you instead, and ended up being a general pain-in-the-ass. I guess we all find our niche. :biggrin:

Well, if it's any consolation Brews...it should work fine. Just make sure your bypass/regulator is sized sufficiently.

How's that?

1. How does a hydraulic circuit work?

A hydraulic circuit works by using a liquid, usually oil, to transmit power from one location to another. The circuit consists of a pump, valves, and actuators, all connected by pipes or hoses. When the pump is activated, it creates pressure in the fluid, causing it to flow through the circuit and move the actuators, which can be used to lift, push, or rotate objects.

2. What is the purpose of a hydraulic circuit?

The purpose of a hydraulic circuit is to efficiently transfer power from one location to another. This allows heavy loads to be moved with relatively small amounts of force, making it a useful tool in many industries such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation.

3. How do you know if a hydraulic circuit is working correctly?

To determine if a hydraulic circuit is working correctly, you should perform a pressure test. This involves monitoring the pressure at various points in the circuit while it is in operation. If the pressure is within the specified range, the circuit is functioning properly. Any deviations from the expected pressure could indicate a problem with the circuit.

4. What are the most common problems with hydraulic circuits?

The most common problems with hydraulic circuits include leaks, blockages, and component failures. Leaks can occur at any point in the circuit, reducing the efficiency of the system. Blockages can also disrupt the flow of fluid, causing the circuit to malfunction. Component failures, such as a failed pump or valve, can also lead to issues with the circuit.

5. How can you troubleshoot a hydraulic circuit?

To troubleshoot a hydraulic circuit, you should first check for any obvious signs of leaks or blockages. Next, you can perform a pressure test to determine if the system is functioning properly. If there are no visible issues and the pressure test reveals no problems, you may need to inspect each component of the circuit individually to identify any potential failures.