Creating a User-Friendly D-Hole for Mounting a DC Motor Shaft

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to make a D-shaped hole in a 6mm steel shaft for a motor. They are looking for suggestions on how to do it without industrial tools and are considering using a neodymium magnet for easy attachment and removal. One suggestion is to drill and tap a hole at 90 degrees and use a set screw, but the person wants a faster and more user-friendly method. They are advised to refer to an RS catalogue for more options.
flux110
Hi,

I have a DC motor that have these dimensions: http://www.micromotorssrl.com/motor_l149/L149.pdf and the problem that i have is to make the "D-hole" in a solid 6mm steel shaft. At the bottom of the hole i was planing to put a neodymium magnet so that you easily could remove and put back the shaft. I don´t have access to industrial tools.

Anyone have any smart suggestions how to do this o anyther fast way to mount the shaft? Is the only way to do it to mold it?

Best Regards,
Flux110

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi flux,
flux110 said:
the problem that i have is to make the "D-hole" in a solid 6mm steel shaft. At the bottom of the hole i was planing to put a neodymium magnet so that you easily could remove and put back the shaft.
this isn't clear to me. Do you have a motor with a shaft that has a flat spot on it as shown in the link? Are you trying to put a D shaped hole into a pully or something so the motor can drive it? Not sure what the magnet is for either. If you're trying to make a D shaped hole, the easy thing to do would be to make a round hole and put a set screw on the flat spot. Maybe you can elaborate on what it is you're trying to do.

Hi Q_Goest,

So i have a a motor with a shaft that has a flat spot on in as shown in the .pdf.
And now i want to make a shaft to connect to the motorshaft that has the dimensions of the attached picture. But the problem is how to make the "D-hole" without to mold it from scratch or an exspensive industrial laser?

The magnet in the bottom of the "D-hole" is so that the shaft won't drop of when it is connected to the motorshaft in a vertical position and also because its a fast attach system with no screws or nuts.

"If you're trying to make a D shaped hole, the easy thing to do would be to make a round hole and put a set screw on the flat spot." Didin´t really understod what you meant by this, could you explain more i detail?

Attachments

• Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 531
Can you drill a hole for the motor shaft to be inserted into, then drill and tap another hole at 90 degrees for a set screw? See attached.

Attachments

• Shaft coupling.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 551
That would work but i don't want it that way it will take to long to add and remove the shaft..
It has to be "user friendly" that's why id like to just have a D-hole to insert it to

flux110 said:
That would work but i don't want it that way it will take to long to add and remove the shaft..
It has to be "user friendly" that's why id like to just have a D-hole to insert it to

It may be best for you to get hold of an RS catalogue (mechanical volume), once you have one you can see what your options are.

What is a fitting problem with a shaft?

A fitting problem with a shaft refers to an issue where the shaft does not fit properly into its designated space or component, causing misalignment or interference with other parts of the machinery.

What are the common causes of fitting problems with shafts?

Some common causes of fitting problems with shafts include incorrect measurements or tolerances, manufacturing errors, wear and tear, and thermal expansion/contraction.

How can fitting problems with shafts be prevented?

To prevent fitting problems with shafts, it is important to ensure accurate measurements and proper tolerances during the design and manufacturing process. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address potential issues before they become major problems.

What are the consequences of ignoring a fitting problem with a shaft?

Ignoring a fitting problem with a shaft can lead to increased wear and tear on the machinery, reduced efficiency and performance, and even damage to other components. It can also be a safety hazard for operators and workers.

How can fitting problems with shafts be fixed?

Fixing a fitting problem with a shaft may involve adjusting tolerances, replacing damaged parts, or realigning the machinery. It is important to consult with a professional or follow manufacturer guidelines to ensure the proper fix is applied.