Hybridization states of the 8 orbitals (*) of Xe and Os

In summary, the conversation discusses the hybridization states of the 8 orbitals of Xe and Os in the compounds XeF8 and OsF8, and whether these bonds involve "f" orbitals or not. However, it is noted that these compounds have more than 8 orbitals and that XeF8 is not a stable compound. Theoretical explanations for the bonds in these compounds are also mentioned, including valence-bond theory and modern valence-bond theory. It is suggested to refer to Shaik's book on modern valence-bond theory for more information. Additionally, it is mentioned that in main group compounds, neither d nor f orbitals contribute to bonding or hybridization.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Dear all,

can you point me to a book reference where the hybridization states of the 8 orbitals (*) of Xe and Os in these 2 compounds [itex] \mbox{XeF_{8}} [/itex] and [itex] \mbox{OsF_{8}} [/itex] are justified in agreement with the quantum theory?

Do these 16 bonds involve the "f" orbitals or not ?

Thank you

Added(*): 8 <valence shell electrons>.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

This post makes little sense to me.
Quantum theory is not at odds with valence-bond theory; the latter is derived from the former. These compounds have a lot more than 8 orbitals. XeF8 is not a stable compound (XeF6 is) and I don't know that OsF8 has been observed in practice either.

Anyway, in classical VBT, the osmium compound would probably have f-hybrid orbitals involved directly, but not xenon hexafluoride.

Shaik's book on modern valence-bond theory is the best on the topic.

At the first glance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon#Halides seems pretty ok. The whole article seems pretty ok.

So let's choose the part here

<The xenon fluorides behave as both fluoride acceptors and fluoride donors, forming salts that contain such cations as XeF+ and Xe2F3+, and anions such as XeF5−, XeF7−, and XeF82−>.

Can the bonds in the last ion be justified by hybridization theory ? I'm thinking f2sp3d2 ?

Ok, the wiki page on Os doen't mention the F_8 compound, but what about the F_7 ? Should't that be fsp3d2 ?

Last edited:

In main group compounds, neither d nor f orbitals contribute to bonding or hybridization.
For a modern valence bond description see e.g.:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1380-7323(99)80022-3

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear researcher,

Thank you for your inquiry. The hybridization states of the 8 orbitals in Xe and Os compounds, specifically XeF8 and OsF8, can be justified using quantum theory. The book "Molecular Orbitals and Organic Chemical Reactions" by Fleming (2010) discusses the hybridization states of various elements, including Xe and Os, in detail. According to this book, Xe and Os both have 8 valence electrons in their outermost shell, which can be used to form bonds with other elements. In the case of XeF8 and OsF8, these bonds involve the mixing of s, p and d orbitals to form hybrid orbitals. This hybridization results in the formation of 16 bonds, with each bond involving one hybrid orbital from Xe or Os and one orbital from the fluorine atom.

As for the involvement of "f" orbitals, Xe and Os do not have any "f" orbitals in their valence shell. Therefore, the 16 bonds in XeF8 and OsF8 do not involve any "f" orbitals.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
[Your name]

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The hybridization states of the orbitals in Xe and Os compounds can be justified using quantum theory. In XeF8, Xe has a valence shell of 8 electrons, with 6 in the 5p orbital and 2 in the 5s orbital. The 5p orbitals can hybridize with the 2s and 2p orbitals of the fluorine atoms to form 8 sp3d2 hybrid orbitals. These hybrid orbitals are involved in the formation of the 8 bonds in XeF8.

In OsF8, Os also has a valence shell of 8 electrons, with 6 in the 5d orbital and 2 in the 6s orbital. The 5d orbitals can hybridize with the 6s and 6p orbitals of the fluorine atoms to form 8 sp3d2 hybrid orbitals. These hybrid orbitals are involved in the formation of the 8 bonds in OsF8.

As for the involvement of "f" orbitals, it depends on the specific compound and its electronic structure. In general, f orbitals are not involved in hybridization as they are higher in energy and less likely to participate in bonding. However, in certain cases, such as in lanthanide and actinide compounds, f orbitals can play a role in bonding. I suggest referring to a textbook on inorganic chemistry for more information on the specific compounds you mentioned.

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any further inquiries. Thank you.

1. What is the hybridization state of the 8 orbitals of Xe and Os?

The hybridization state of Xe and Os is sp3d2, meaning that there are three hybridized orbitals (s, p, and d) and two unhybridized d orbitals.

2. How are the 8 orbitals of Xe and Os hybridized?

The 8 orbitals of Xe and Os are hybridized through a combination of s, p, and d orbitals. This hybridization allows for the formation of new molecular orbitals, resulting in a more stable molecule.

3. What is the significance of the hybridization state in Xe and Os?

The hybridization state in Xe and Os is important because it determines the molecular geometry and bonding properties of the molecule. It also affects the reactivity and stability of the molecule.

4. How does the hybridization state of Xe and Os affect their chemical properties?

The hybridization state of Xe and Os affects their chemical properties by influencing the types of bonds they can form and the angles between these bonds. This, in turn, affects their stability and reactivity.

5. Can the hybridization state of Xe and Os change?

Yes, the hybridization state of Xe and Os can change depending on the chemical environment. For example, in the presence of certain ligands, the hybridization state may shift to accommodate the bonding requirements of the molecule.