Proving Hopf Invariant and Degree of g for f⋅g

In summary, the statement in question states that for two mappings f: S^3 \to S^2 and g: S^3 \to S^3, the Hopf invariant H(f\circ g) is equal to the product of the degree of g and the Hopf invariant of f, denoted by deg~g H(f). This statement can be proven using the definitions of the Hopf invariant and degree, as well as the characterization of degree in terms of differential topology. However, if using the algebraic topological definition and proof, the Hopf invariant is defined as an integer h such that \alpha \smile \alpha = h\beta, where \alpha generates the 2-d cohomology
eok20
Can someone give me some hints on how to prove the following statement: if [tex] f: S^3 \to S^2, g: S^3 \to S^3[/tex] then [tex]H(f\circ g) = deg~g H(f)[/tex] where H is the Hopf invariant and deg g is the degree of g. I'm pretty clueless on how to start and I don't see how to get the deg to come in since that has to do with 3-d cohomology but the Hopf invariant has to do with 2-d and 4-d cohomology.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
I don't know what definitions you are using, but with the definition of the Hopf invariant given at page 227-228 of Bott-Tu and then using the caracterisation of degree found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_a_continuous_mapping#Differential_topology, it is very simple.

Thanks-- I should have clarified. I'm interested in the algebraic topological definition and proof. Here, the Hopf invariant is the integer h such that [tex] \alpha \smile \alpha = h\beta[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex] generates the 2-d cohomology and [tex]\beta[/tex] generates the 4-d cohomology of the mapping cone of [tex]f:S^3 \to S^2[/tex]. The degree of [tex]g:S^3\to S^3[/tex] is the integer d such that [tex] f_* \gamma = d\gamma[/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] generates the 3-d homology of S^3.

Unfortunately, I have very little intuition/feel for algebraic topology and I much prefer the differential forms and differential topology analogs.

1. What is the Hopf Invariant?

The Hopf Invariant is a topological invariant that is used to classify mappings between spheres. It is a specific integer value that can be calculated for a given mapping.

2. How is the Hopf Invariant calculated?

The Hopf Invariant is calculated by integrating a specific differential form over the domain of a given mapping. This integral can be simplified using the degree of the mapping.

3. What is the degree of a mapping?

The degree of a mapping is a measure of how many times the mapping wraps around the target space. It is calculated by counting the number of times the image of a point in the domain covers the target space.

4. How do I prove the Hopf Invariant and degree of a composite mapping?

To prove the Hopf Invariant and degree of a composite mapping, you need to first calculate the individual Hopf Invariants and degrees of each mapping. Then, you can use the properties of these invariants and degrees to simplify the calculation for the composite mapping.

5. Why is proving the Hopf Invariant and degree of a mapping important?

Proving the Hopf Invariant and degree of a mapping is important because it allows for the classification of mappings between spheres, which has applications in fields such as topology, differential geometry, and physics. It also helps to understand the behavior and properties of the mappings themselves.