Newtons Law and Friction Question (along with a contact force question)

In summary: So the contact force exerted on the 75kg box is 250N and the contact force exerted on the 110kg by the 75kg box is -250N. This is because the 620N force is applied to the 110kg instead of the 75kg. Does that make sense?Yes, that makes sense. The way you have it written, it looks like you were finding the friction force instead of the contact force. But your reasoning and values are correct. So in summary, the contact forces between the two crates are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, and they act in response to the applied force. The contact force is what keeps the crates in contact and allows them to transfer energy
iurod

Homework Statement

Two crates, of mass 75 kg and 110 kg are in contact and at rest on a horizontal surface. A 620N force is exerted on the 75 kg crate. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.15 calculate:
a) the acceleration of the system
b)the force that each crate exerts on the other

* I have attached a word document with the picture my book gave me, hoping that it helps.

Homework Equations

f=ma
Friction= (coefficient of kinetic friction)(mg)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) the acceleration of the system

for the Free Body Diagram I chose to make one big block with mass= 185kg

f=ma
620N - Friction = (185 kg)a
Friction= (0.15)(185x9.8) = 271.95

620 - 271.95 = (185 kg)a
a= 1.9 m/s2

b. the force that each crate exerts on the other

This is where I'm having trouble, I could find the formula nor did our professor give us the formula for Contact force. So I tried to think it out and got this

Contact Force = Force - Friction - ma

taking the 75kg box first:
620 - Friction -(75 kg)(1.9 m/s2)
Friction = (0.15)(75x9.8) = 110.25

Contact force = 620 - 110.25 - (75)(1.9)
Contact force = 367.25 I rounded to 3.7x102N

Now for the 110 kg box:
620 - Friction - (110)(1.9)
Friction = (0.15)(110x9.8) = 161.7

Contact force = 620 - 161.7 - (110)(1.9)
Contact force = 249.3 I rounded to 2.5x102

Thanks!

Attachments

• problem 48 figure.doc
    73.5 KB · Views: 931
Physics news on Phys.org
The contact force of the 75 kg block on the 110 kg block must be equal and opposite to the contact force of the 110 kg block onthe 75 kg block, which you calculated correctly as having a magnitude of 370 N. This follows from Newton's 3rd law. So you made an error when you looked at the free body diagram of the 110 kg block by introducing a force on that block that does not exist. Which force doesn't belong? Also, in which direction does the contact force act in this case?

PhanthomJay said:
The contact force of the 75 kg block on the 110 kg block must be equal and opposite to the contact force of the 110 kg block onthe 75 kg block, which you calculated correctly as having a magnitude of 370 N. This follows from Newton's 3rd law. So you made an error when you looked at the free body diagram of the 110 kg block by introducing a force on that block that does not exist. Which force doesn't belong? Also, in which direction does the contact force act in this case?

I follow. I think I got confused when doing the problem. Is this correct?

So for Question b:
I got the Contact force as 370N of the 75kg block on the 110kg block and -370N of the 110kg block on the 75kg block.

Now for part c:
If I go to the other side of the table and apply a 620N Force to the 110kg.
The contact force on the 110kg block on the 75kg block is 250N and the 75kg block on the 110kg block is -250kg.

iurod said:
I follow. I think I got confused when doing the problem. Is this correct?

So for Question b:
I got the Contact force as 370N of the 75kg block on the 110kg block and -370N of the 110kg block on the 75kg block.

Now for part c:
If I go to the other side of the table and apply a 620N Force to the 110kg.
The contact force on the 110kg block on the 75kg block is 250N and the 75kg block on the 110kg block is -250[strike]kg[/strike]N.
Your magnitudes are correct, but i couldn't open your figure to see what direction you mean by the minus sign. The contact force in any case is a force that pushes on the other block.

PhanthomJay said:
Your magnitudes are correct, but i couldn't open your figure to see what direction you mean by the minus sign. The contact force in any case is a force that pushes on the other block.

The picture just has a table with the two blocks on top of it with an arrow pointing to the blocks, indicating the 620N force.

I put the minus sign because Newtons Third Law "for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction" So if the 75kg block has a contact force of 320 on the 110kg block. Should the 110kg block have an equal but opposite reaction to the 75kg block? making it -320N?

Same thing goes for the second case...

Thanks again for helping me with this.

Yes, you are right about Newton 3, so the contact forces on each respective block point in opposite directions. For the first case, with the 620 N force applied to the 75 kg block, when you look at the contact force of the 110 kg block on the 75 kg block, it should point in the opposite direction of the 620 N force. Is that what you show?

PhanthomJay said:
Yes, you are right about Newton 3, so the contact forces on each respective block point in opposite directions. For the first case, with the 620 N force applied to the 75 kg block, when you look at the contact force of the 110 kg block on the 75 kg block, it should point in the opposite direction of the 620 N force. Is that what you show?

hmmm. what I did was first find the contact force which I set up like this:

Contact force = Force - Ffriction - ma
Contact force = 620N - 110.25N - (75x9.8)
Contact force = 367.25 but I rounded to +370N

the + is the contact force exerted on the 110kg box by the 75kg box. So for the contact force exerted on the 75kg box by the 110kg its the same magnitude but with opposite sign; -320N

I did the same thing for the second case, but this time the initial 620N force is applied to the 110kg.

1. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does Newton's Second Law of Motion relate to friction?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of friction, the force of friction acts against the motion of an object, causing a decrease in acceleration.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other but not moving relative to one another. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. Kinetic friction is typically stronger than static friction.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness of two surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction indicates a rougher surface and results in a stronger force of friction.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated?

No, friction is an inherent property of surfaces in contact with each other. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or by choosing materials with lower coefficients of friction.