Special relativity: proof of symmetry concept

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the student is given a symmetric tensor A and an antisymmetric tensor B, and is asked to show that A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}=0. They attempt to use the fact that an antisymmetric tensor can be written as a combination of symmetric tensors, but get confused when trying to use index manipulation to show the result. The expert suggests looking at the problem as a sum over indices to understand the solution.
Uku

Homework Statement

I am given a symmetric tensor A, meaning [tex]A^{\mu\nu}=A^{\nu\mu}[/tex] and I am given an asymmetric tensor B, meaning [tex]B_{\mu\nu}=-B_{\nu\mu}[/tex]

Now I need to show that:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}=0[/tex] 0)

Homework Equations

We know that an asymmetric tensor can be written as:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(T^{\mu\nu}-T^{\nu\mu})[/tex] 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have written down from the class:

We can use 1) to write:

[tex]B_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(B_{\mu\nu}-B_{\nu\mu})[/tex]

Now we multiply this by [tex]A^{\mu\nu}[/tex]:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}-A^{\mu\nu}B_{\nu\mu})[/tex] 2)

Here comes the point which I am confused: the lecturer has written that we can use
[tex]\mu\leftrightarrow\nu[/tex] 3) to change the indexes on 2) such as:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}-A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu})=\frac{1}{2}A^{\mu\nu}(B_{\mu\nu}-B_{\mu\nu})=0[/tex] 4)

Right, but here is the question. I know that tensor B is antisymmetric, meaning that
[tex]B_{\mu\nu}=-B_{\nu\mu}[/tex]! How can I then use 3) to change the indexes? That should give me a change of signs in 4)

[tex]...=\frac{1}{2}(B_{\mu\nu}+B_{\mu\nu})\neq0[/tex]

So... how is 0) properly shown? Have I missed some principle at 3)?

EDIT: Is it just that in 4) [tex]-B_{\nu\mu}=B_{\mu\nu}[/tex] ? But that does not work either... because if I plug that in, then I still get B+B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uku said:

Homework Statement

I am given a symmetric tensor A, meaning [tex]A^{\mu\nu}=A^{\nu\mu}[/tex] and I am given an asymmetric tensor B, meaning [tex]B_{\mu\nu}=-B_{\nu\mu}[/tex]
That's an "anti-symmetric" tensor. Any tensor that is not symmetric is an "asymmetric" tensor.

Now I need to show that:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}=0[/tex] 0)

Homework Equations

We know that an asymmetric tensor can be written as:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(T^{\mu\nu}-T^{\nu\mu})[/tex] 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have written down from the class:

We can use 1) to write:

[tex]B_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(B_{\mu\nu}-B_{\nu\mu})[/tex]

Now we multiply this by [tex]A^{\mu\nu}[/tex]:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}-A^{\mu\nu}B_{\nu\mu})[/tex] 2)

Here comes the point which I am confused: the lecturer has written that we can use
[tex]\mu\leftrightarrow\nu[/tex] 3) to change the indexes on 2) such as:

[tex]A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}-A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu})=\frac{1}{2}A^{\mu\nu}(B_{\mu\nu}-B_{\mu\nu})=0[/tex] 4)

Right, but here is the question. I know that tensor B is antisymmetric, meaning that
[tex]B_{\mu\nu}=-B_{\nu\mu}[/tex]! How can I then use 3) to change the indexes? That should give me a change of signs in 4)

[tex]...=\frac{1}{2}(B_{\mu\nu}+B_{\mu\nu})\neq0[/tex]

So... how is 0) properly shown? Have I missed some principle at 3)?

EDIT: Is it just that in 4) [tex]-B_{\nu\mu}=B_{\mu\nu}[/tex] ? But that does not work either... because if I plug that in, then I still get B+B

Do you understand that [tex]A^{\mu\nu}B_{\mu\nu}[/tex] is sum[/b}? That we are summing over [itex]\mu= 1[/itex] to 4 and [itex]\nu= 1[/itex] to 4?

Yes I do. I figure you gave me a hint there, I'll look at the problem again.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 and has since been confirmed by numerous experiments.

2. What is the symmetry concept in special relativity?

The symmetry concept in special relativity refers to the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the laws of physics are invariant under certain transformations, such as changes in velocity or direction.

3. How is the symmetry concept proven in special relativity?

The symmetry concept in special relativity is proven through various experiments and observations, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the time dilation and length contraction effects. These experiments have consistently shown that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

4. Why is the symmetry concept important in special relativity?

The symmetry concept is important in special relativity because it allows us to understand and explain the behavior of objects in motion. Without it, there would be discrepancies and contradictions in our understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any exceptions to the symmetry concept in special relativity?

While the symmetry concept holds true in most cases, there are some exceptions in extreme situations, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. In these cases, the laws of physics may appear to be different for different observers, but this can be explained by the effects of relativity.