I with vector addition and subtraction

In summary, the problem is that you need to find the third force that is equal to the two other forces, but is in the opposite direction of the two other forces.
ninetyfour

Homework Statement

Alright so I have an object being pulled from two sides at an angle like the picture below. I want to figure out a third force that can be added to keep the object in the middle of the two sides.

347ifpw.jpg

Are the directions of the components I drew correct?

(There is an actual problem for this, I thought I'd put a more general question though)

Homework Equations

Vector addition and subtraction

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the horizontal and vertical components of both forces. I then subtracted the horizontal forces from each other because they were going in opposite directions, and added the horizontal vectors because they were going in the same direction. To find the third force, I used the equal but opposite vertical and horizontal forces and found the third net force...

I hope I explained this right :S
Please help me out by telling me if I'm doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends which force is greater, and by how much.

I like to see that you posted a more general problem, though! It helps you a lot more this way.

If I'm not mistaken (not done this in a long time!), F_3 should be in the direction of the weaker force, and should be equal to F_stronger - F_weaker.

Thank you for your help :D

To add a little bit of detail, the problem that I'm looking at has a greater horizontal force on one side, and the greater vertical force on the other.

If I did
V1 - V2 = -V3 (where V1 is the greater vertical force)
and
H1 + H2 = -H3 (since horizontal forces..seem to be pointing the same way, I am adding)
Would F3 = the net force of -V3 and -H3?

Are the directions of my components pointing in the right direction in the diagram if the system is moving right?
Am I completely doing this wrong? :P

1. What is vector addition and subtraction?

Vector addition and subtraction are mathematical operations used to combine or break down vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In vector addition, two or more vectors are added together to produce a new vector that represents their combined effect. In vector subtraction, one vector is subtracted from another to find the difference between them.

2. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To perform vector addition, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each vector. Then, you can add the magnitudes together to find the magnitude of the resulting vector. To find the direction, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to calculate the angles between the vectors. For vector subtraction, the process is similar except you subtract the magnitudes and angles instead of adding them.

3. What are some real-life applications of vector addition and subtraction?

Vector addition and subtraction have various applications in science, engineering, and other fields. For example, they can be used to calculate the net force on an object in physics, to determine the direction and speed of winds in meteorology, and to analyze the motion of projectiles in ballistics. They are also commonly used in computer graphics to create 3D animations and simulations.

4. Can vectors be added or subtracted if they have different dimensions?

No, vectors can only be added or subtracted if they have the same dimensions. This means that they must have the same number of components and the same units. For example, you cannot add a 2-dimensional vector (representing displacement in the x and y directions) to a 3-dimensional vector (representing force in the x, y, and z directions).

5. Is there a difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

Yes, there is a difference between vector addition and scalar addition. Vector addition involves combining vectors with both magnitude and direction, while scalar addition involves adding two or more quantities that only have magnitude (such as distance or temperature). Scalar addition is simpler and follows the regular rules of addition, while vector addition involves more complex calculations and also takes into account the direction of the vectors.