How to estimate the Startup torque of a pump motor

In summary: The equation I gave you would be if you tested the motor and had some empirical data. In that case it would be:I_{starting} = I_{lr} \cdot \frac{V_{line,rated}}{V_{line,lr}} If you don't test it yourself or have the data on the name plate (I'm not sure what IEC motor nameplate have on them off hand) then you will need to know the impedance. You can calculate the starting current using the impedance. Just note that their are two components to the current, the transient and the steady-state. The total can be found (again assuming you know the impedance) with this approximation:i
Su Solberg
Hi Guys,

I have a problem about the starting current of a pump's electrical motor.

I have the working condition of the pump (torque, power, speed, P and Q)

But how could I calculate the start up current of an IEC standard motor?
Seems I has to gather a Torque-speed curve from the supplier, right?

Also, in case it is not provided, how can I estimate the starting current and how to protect my motor to burn (since the starting current is 3 times more!? than the operation current )

p.s. since it's a a 10" pump, starting with inverter would not an economic choice. Direct on line would be better, I think.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Solberg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Su Solberg said:
Hi Guys,

I have a problem about the starting current of a pump's electrical motor.

I have the working condition of the pump (torque, power, speed, P and Q)

But how could I calculate the start up current of an IEC standard motor?
Seems I has to gather a Torque-speed curve from the supplier, right?

Also, in case it is not provided, how can I estimate the starting current and how to protect my motor to burn (since the starting current is 3 times more!? than the operation current )

p.s. since it's a a 10" pump, starting with inverter would not an economic choice. Direct on line would be better, I think.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Solberg

The manufacturer should be able to provide this information to you. However, you can also find it by testing the motor with a locked rotor. You can then find the starting current by multiplying that value by the ratio of the line (rated) voltage vs. the line (locked-rotor test) voltage.

CS

stewartcs said:
The manufacturer should be able to provide this information to you. However, you can also find it by testing the motor with a locked rotor. You can then find the starting current by multiplying that value by the ratio of the line (rated) voltage vs. the line (locked-rotor test) voltage.

CS

Thanks alot. I wonder which manufacturer, the pump or motor.

Is the equation is "start up current" = "normal current" * [Normal V / Start up V]?

Also, I wonder is there any method to know how to calculate the current theoritically without perform a test?
p.s. is that include as a specification of a motor?

Thanks in advence.

Su Solberg said:
Thanks alot. I wonder which manufacturer, the pump or motor.

Is the equation is "start up current" = "normal current" * [Normal V / Start up V]?

Also, I wonder is there any method to know how to calculate the current theoritically without perform a test?
p.s. is that include as a specification of a motor?

Thanks in advence.

The motor for sure. If it were a NEMA motor the name plate would have a Code Letter designation that could be used to determine the starting current.

The equation I gave you would be if you tested the motor and had some empirical data. In that case it would be:[tex]I_{starting} = I_{lr} \cdot \frac{V_{line,rated}}{V_{line,lr}} [/tex]

If you don't test it yourself or have the data on the name plate (I'm not sure what IEC motor nameplate have on them off hand) then you will need to know the impedance. You can calculate the starting current using the impedance. Just note that their are two components to the current, the transient and the steady-state. The total can be found (again assuming you know the impedance) with this approximation:

[tex]i_{lr} = \sqrt{2} \left[ \frac{V_{phase}}{Z_{in}} \right]_{s=1.0} sin(2\pi ft - \theta_z) + A\epsilon^{-(\frac{R}{L})t}[/tex]

This is obviously in the time domain so the current will be dependent on where the waveform is when the motor starts (i.e. the peak current occurs at a zero voltage crossing).

Also note that the exponential term on the far right is the transient component.

This calc is a lot easier if you have the right name plate data...so buy a NEMA motor if you have the choice (unless IEC nameplates have the same type data)!

Hope this helps.

CS

1. How do I calculate the startup torque of a pump motor?

The startup torque of a pump motor can be calculated by multiplying the starting current of the motor by the locked rotor torque of the motor. The starting current can be found in the motor's datasheet, while the locked rotor torque can be determined through testing.

2. What factors affect the startup torque of a pump motor?

The startup torque of a pump motor is affected by several factors, including the type and design of the motor, the load on the motor, and the starting method used. Additionally, the ambient temperature and altitude can also impact the startup torque.

3. Can the startup torque of a pump motor be increased?

Yes, the startup torque of a pump motor can be increased by using a soft starter or a variable frequency drive (VFD). These devices help to control the starting current and reduce the strain on the motor, allowing it to produce a higher torque without overheating.

4. What is the importance of estimating the startup torque of a pump motor?

Estimating the startup torque of a pump motor is important because it helps to ensure that the motor is capable of starting and running the pump effectively. It also helps to prevent damage to the motor and other components of the pump system.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when estimating the startup torque of a pump motor?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when estimating the startup torque of a pump motor. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, disconnecting power before working on the motor, and following the manufacturer's instructions. It is also recommended to have a qualified electrician or technician perform the calculations and any necessary adjustments to the motor.