Oil shortens lifespan of halogen bulbs?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of handling hot bulbs, specifically projectors and halogens, and whether or not it can cause damage to the bulb. Some believe that the oil from hands can cause overheating and shorten the lifespan of the bulb, while others mention the possibility of salt being the culprit. It is noted that surface contaminants on the bulb can also lead to explosive failure. The conversation includes a reference to a website for further information on halogen technology and a humorous remark about explosive failures.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
A brazillion years ago, I was taught not to handle the bulbs used in projectors under the rationale that the oil from your hands ends up on the bulb, causing overheating and shortening the lifespan of the bulb.

I've generalized this to other hot bulbs such as the little 10, 20 and 50W halogens in common use.

It occurs to me that this may not be valid.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I've heard this too. I assume, without knowledge, that an oil film on the bulb glass absorbs and retains a great deal of heat; perhaps enough to eventually crack the bulb.

It's an issue if the oil creates a darker and/or less transparent spot on the lens, which could then cause more heat to be retained.

Last edited:
Projection lamps are high temperature arc lamps made of quartz. Surface contaminants can initiate devitrification of the quartz lamp envelope leading to an explosive lamp failure.

Quartz halogen lamps run cooler but can still be damaged. A typical operating temperature for an arc lamp might be 800 C.

It is definitely valid. Halogens are used as standard in most Autos’. The auto parts stores tell you not to touch the glass, and will not replace them if you return a few hours later with a bulged out bulb.

However if you do accidentally touch them you can wipe the glass with alcohol and dry. Other people say it is the salt that causes the problem.

For a description see 03) Halogen Technology here:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/153822-primer-light-bulb-technologies.html

nucleus said:
For a description see 03) Halogen Technology here:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/153822-primer-light-bulb-technologies.html

I love it. "experiences non-passive failure" instead of "explodes"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why does oil shorten the lifespan of halogen bulbs?

Oil can cause a chemical reaction with the filament of the halogen bulb, which can lead to premature burnout. Additionally, oil can create a layer on the surface of the bulb, reducing its ability to dissipate heat and causing it to overheat and fail.

2. What type of oil is most harmful to halogen bulbs?

Any type of oil, such as cooking oil, hand oil, or even oil from fingerprints, can be harmful to halogen bulbs. However, oils with higher heat resistance, such as mineral or synthetic oils, may be more damaging as they can withstand higher temperatures before breaking down and causing damage to the bulb.

3. Can oil damage halogen bulbs even if it doesn't come in direct contact with them?

Yes, even small amounts of oil in the air can settle on the surface of the bulb and cause damage. It is important to handle halogen bulbs with clean hands and avoid placing them near sources of oil, such as cooking areas or mechanical equipment.

4. How can I prevent oil from damaging my halogen bulbs?

To prevent oil from damaging your halogen bulbs, make sure to handle them with clean hands or gloves, and avoid placing them in areas where oil may be present. You can also clean the surface of the bulbs with rubbing alcohol before use to remove any oil residue.

5. Are there any alternatives to halogen bulbs that are not affected by oil?

Yes, LED or CFL (compact fluorescent) bulbs are more resistant to oil and have longer lifespans compared to halogen bulbs. However, make sure to still handle them with clean hands and avoid placing them near sources of oil to ensure their longevity.