Set of all finite subsets of N (real analysis)

In summary: You need to show that the union of T and P, which is an element of an+1, is countable. You also need to show that this holds for any arbitrary set S in an+1, not just one particular set. In summary, to prove that the set of all finite subsets of N is countable, we can use induction and show that each set of subsets with cardinality n is countable. By assuming that the set with cardinality n is countable, we can then show that the set with cardinality n+1 is also countable. This is done by removing an element from an arbitrary set in an+1 and showing that the resulting sets are countable. Therefore, the set of all
KevinL

Homework Statement

Show that the set of all finite subsets of N is a countable set.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this was really easy. I had A = {B1, B2, B3, ... }, where Bn is some finite subset of N. Since any B is finite and therefore countable, and since a union of finite sets is countable, then the set of all finite subsets is countable. But I'm pretty sure this is false because its sort of assuming that the set A is countable.

So I got to thinking that I could consider a1 to be the set of all finite one-element subsets of N. And then perhaps expand that idea to an+1 to be any of these such sets. From here though, I'm not sure how to prove that the set of all of these subsets is countable.

Im thinking induction, and the basis step is a pretty obvious bijection with N. But I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking about how you should go about showing your bijection onto N. How would you make sure you didnt miss any elements?

Are you familiar with the Cantor-Schroeder-Bernstein theorem? If so this isn’t so bad. Let’s call N'
your set of all finite subsets of N.

N->N'should be trivial

Hint for N’->N. Consider the set Nb' the set of N' in binary format. So {1,3,5} -> {1,11, 101}. Clearly Nb' and N' are bijective.

Is there an easy way to uniquely map every element of Nb' into N by using digits other than “0” and “1”

Im trying it with induction.

Let A be the set of all finite subsets of N

Let an , n>=1 be a set of subsets of N each with cardinality of n.

Claim: Any an is countable, so the union from n=0 to infinity of an is countable, and thus A would be countable. Prove by induction.

basis: n=1, a1: N: 1 2 3...
a1: {1}{2}{3}... and we have an obvious bijection.

Inductive hypothesis: Assume an is countable. Show an+1 is countable.

For any set S is an element of an+1, remove an arbitrary element K. The resulting sets are T and P such that T is an element of an, and K is an element of P is an element of a1.

By inductive hypothesis, T is countable. By basis step we know a1 is countable. So the union of T and P is countable, so an+1 is countable. Therefore A is countable.

Does this look right?

this step doesn't follow:
So the union of T and P is countable, so an+1 is countable. Therefore A is countable.

The union of T and P is your S, not your an+1

1. What is the "Set of all finite subsets of N"?

The "Set of all finite subsets of N" refers to the collection of all possible finite sets of natural numbers. This set is denoted as 2N, where N is the set of natural numbers.

2. How is the "Set of all finite subsets of N" used in real analysis?

In real analysis, the "Set of all finite subsets of N" is often used as a tool for proving theorems and analyzing mathematical functions. It helps in understanding the behavior of functions and their limits, and also in constructing counterexamples.

3. Is the "Set of all finite subsets of N" countable or uncountable?

The "Set of all finite subsets of N" is countable, as it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This means that there is a way to list out all the elements in the set in a systematic manner.

4. Can the "Set of all finite subsets of N" be extended to include infinite subsets?

No, the "Set of all finite subsets of N" only includes finite subsets of natural numbers. To include infinite subsets, we would need to use the power set, which is the set of all possible subsets of a given set.

5. How does the "Set of all finite subsets of N" relate to other mathematical concepts like sequences and series?

The "Set of all finite subsets of N" can be used to define and understand sequences and series. A sequence can be thought of as a function with domain on the natural numbers, and a series is the sum of all terms in a sequence. This set can also be used to prove properties of sequences and series, such as convergence and divergence.