Matrix vector product and linear transformation proof

In summary, the proof is done using the properties of a linear transformation, and the equation A(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}) + T(\vec{b}) = A\vec{a} +A\vec{b} is sufficient.
nobahar

Homework Statement

Hello!
Prove:
[tex]A(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = A\vec{a} + A\vec{b}[/tex]
Where A is a matrix and T (in the following section) is a transformation.

Homework Equations

[tex]T(\vec{a}) + T(\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}+\vec{b})[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{a}) = A\vec{a}[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{b}) = A\vec{b}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If [tex]\vec{a}+\vec{b} = \vec{c}[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{c}) = Ac = A(\vec{a}+\vec{b})[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = A(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}) + T(\vec{b}) = A\vec{a} + A\vec{b}[/tex]

Is this a sufficient proof? I can do it the more arduous way, but I think this is a proof, isn’t it?
Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nobahar said:

Homework Statement

Hello!
Prove:
[tex]A(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = A\vec{a} + A\vec{b}[/tex]
Where A is a matrix and T (in the following section) is a transformation.

Homework Equations

[tex]T(\vec{a}) + T(\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}+\vec{b})[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{a}) = A\vec{a}[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{b}) = A\vec{b}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If [tex]\vec{a}+\vec{b} = \vec{c}[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{c}) = Ac = A(\vec{a}+\vec{b})[/tex]
[tex]T(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = A(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}) + T(\vec{b}) = A\vec{a} + A\vec{b}[/tex]

Is this a sufficient proof? I can do it the more arduous way, but I think this is a proof, isn’t it?
Any help appreciated.
I assume you are using the properties of a linear transformation. I would do it this way.

[tex]A(\vec{a} + \vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}) + T(\vec{b}) = A\vec{a} +A\vec{b}[/tex]

Mark44 said:
I assume you are using the properties of a linear transformation. I would do it this way.

[tex]A(\vec{a} + \vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}+\vec{b}) = T(\vec{a}) + T(\vec{b}) = A\vec{a} +A\vec{b}[/tex]

Thanks Mark44.

1. What is a matrix vector product?

A matrix vector product is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix by a vector. It involves multiplying the elements of each row of the matrix by the corresponding elements of the vector, and then summing the products to get a new vector as the result.

2. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function or mapping that preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, while maintaining the same linear relationship between the input and output vectors.

3. How is a matrix vector product related to linear transformations?

A matrix vector product is essentially a way of representing a linear transformation. Each column of the matrix corresponds to a specific input vector, and the matrix vector product with that vector results in the output vector after the transformation is applied.

4. What is the proof for the relationship between matrix vector product and linear transformations?

The proof involves showing that the matrix vector product satisfies the properties of a linear transformation, namely that it preserves addition and scalar multiplication. This is done by breaking down the matrix vector product into its individual components and showing how each one relates to the properties of linear transformations.

5. How is the matrix vector product used in real-world applications?

The matrix vector product is used in a variety of fields, including computer graphics, machine learning, and physics. It is commonly used to represent and manipulate data in a more efficient way, and is especially useful for performing calculations involving large datasets.