Considering a Third Major: Applied Math

In summary, if you are able to take the two additional courses, it will help you complete the Applied Mathematics major at your school. However, there are a few factors to consider before doing so, such as the availability of classes and the amount of time you have available.
Anonymous217
Hello. I'm currently planning to be a double major in Math and Physics and I've scheduled my four years quite a bit (and I took fact of the account that my classes are likely to change over time of course). After scheduling all my classes to fit all the necessary requirements to graduate, I realized that a major in Applied Math would only require two more courses (Intro to Partial DEs, Mathe. Models in Class./Quan. Mech.).
Should I might as well take these other two courses just to complete that major? I don't really see a point in having a third major of Applied Math, but then again, it's only two more courses. I do have room to fit these two classes into my four years, but I'd have to sacrifice two graduate courses (most likely in pure Math).

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you asking us? It's your life dude. Only you know. If i were you, i'd take the 2 other classes purely for bragging rights. Are you a bragger? If you are a bragger, take the 2 classes. If not, then you're on your own to make this decision.

I'm just curious whether having an "extra major" makes any difference other than bragging rights. I'm not asking you to make my decision. I'd just like to know people's general opinions and what they'd do for example.

why not

Anonymous217 said:
I'm just curious whether having an "extra major" makes any difference other than bragging rights.

If it's only two more courses, I would do it. The benefits by getting the Applied Mathematics major will probably be more intangible than not, since any grad school will realize that it's not that much extra work.

If it's two more courses, and it has the possibility to open up more doors for you, I would absolutely take advantage of it. Just don't get too hung up on advertising it. I personally applaud you for your hard work and discipline in achieving a double or triple major, but it's like a lot of things, it can intimidate people. Sometimes they just won't understand why you put so much work into your education when it wasn't necessary. If you're going into an interview, I suggest emphasizing the degree most relevant to the position, and if they all apply, more power to you, let them know. I've heard that first-hand as a complaint from people hiring other people with extrodinary degrees, that they become cautious of them because they're not sure of the skillset they possesses and what the intention of pursuing numerous rigorous degrees are if it doesn't have a position that immediately follows completion. I think the people that will appreciate that most are those in academia, so if you are considering a graduate degree, I would DEFINITELY take those other two courses.

many colleges that I know of won't allow you to add on a major like that if you're doing almost all of the other classes in another major.

And the purpose of attaching 3 majors to oneself would be..?

If you don't go to grad school the 3rd major might be helpful. Regardless you should probably take introduction to PDE's (unless your covering the material in some other class or something).

Your school might not even let you do it. At Texas A&M, you're only allowed two majors.

Jake4 said:
many colleges that I know of won't allow you to add on a major like that if you're doing almost all of the other classes in another major.

This is true. I'd be surprised if they allows you to obtain degrees in both general math and applied math at the same time. Make sure that is not the case for your school.

Also, one thing you need to remember is that in your final years, chances are that only 1 or at best 2 time-slots will be offered each year for most courses required to graduate. And if there is a conflict, well then "see you next year"! It must be a half-miracle if you can complete a double major in 4 years, so don't expect you will successfully be able to do all three in that period of time.

1. What is Applied Math?

Applied Math is a branch of mathematics that uses mathematical concepts and methods to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It involves the application of mathematical principles to practical situations.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a third major in Applied Math?

A third major in Applied Math can provide you with a strong analytical and problem-solving skill set, which is highly valued in various industries. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as data analysis, financial modeling, and scientific research.

3. Is it possible to combine Applied Math with other majors?

Yes, it is possible to combine Applied Math with other majors such as computer science, physics, or economics. This can give you a diverse educational background and make you more competitive in the job market.

4. What are the required courses for a third major in Applied Math?

The required courses for a third major in Applied Math may vary depending on the university or college. However, some common courses include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, statistics, and computer programming.

5. Will pursuing a third major in Applied Math be too challenging?

Pursuing a third major in Applied Math can be challenging, but it can also be highly rewarding. It requires strong mathematical skills and a dedication to learning complex concepts. However, with hard work and determination, it is certainly achievable.