Buoyant Force and Massive G force protection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a safe zone for humans to be accelerated at high G forces. The idea is inspired by an experiment where a water-filled balloon remained round under 60 g's of force due to the perfect opposition of buoyant force. The conversation then explores the possibility of enclosing the balloon in another container of water and submerging it to achieve the same result, but the feasibility is questioned due to the pull of gravity still being felt in a submarine. The conversation concludes that while there may be ways to mitigate g-force effects, there is currently no known method to completely prevent them.
Kardaen
I am interested in determining if a method can be devised to create a safe zone for humans to be accelerated at very high G force.

I watched a very interesting experiment where a water filled balloon was submerged in container of water and had 60 g's of force applied via a centrifuge. The balloon remained completely round, showing no sign of the G force applied. The Buoyant Force opposed the G force perfectly.

I am wondering if a similar experiment can be done putting the water filled balloon in the container with no water, enclose that container then submerge that container in another container of water and see if we get the same result of no g force applied on the inner container when accelerated on the centrifuge.

Seems like the inside container would still feel the acceleration. People in a submarine still feel the pull of gravity, so it makes me skeptical of the result I am hoping for.

What I am wondering is if we can build a cockpit that can be surrounded by fluid and protected from massive acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right to be sceptical.

There is no known apparatus or technique to prevent g-force effects.
Mitigate, yes. Prevent, no.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object, with the higher pressure at the bottom pushing the object upwards.

2. How does buoyant force provide protection against massive g-forces?

Buoyant force can help protect against massive g-forces by reducing the net force acting on an object. When an object is submerged in a fluid, the buoyant force counteracts the force of gravity, reducing the overall force on the object. This can help mitigate the effects of g-forces on the object and prevent damage or injury.

3. How is buoyant force related to an object's density?

Buoyant force is directly related to an object's density. Objects with higher densities will experience a greater buoyant force when submerged in a fluid compared to objects with lower densities. This is because the fluid must exert a greater pressure on the denser object to support its weight.

4. Can buoyant force be calculated?

Yes, the buoyant force on an object can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the shape of an object affect buoyant force?

The shape of an object can affect the buoyant force it experiences. Objects with larger surface areas will experience a greater buoyant force than objects with smaller surface areas. Additionally, the shape can also affect the distribution of the buoyant force on the object, with certain shapes experiencing greater forces on certain areas.