Movement in Space: Understanding Acceleration & Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of motion and forces in space. The first question asks if an object will continue moving unless it encounters an equal and opposite force. The second question discusses the idea of acceleration and how it requires a force to act on an object. The conclusion is that an object will continue moving unless acted upon by a force that causes it to decelerate and eventually stop. Acceleration also requires a force to act on the object.
vanwykm
Hi Guys.

I hope I’m posting this in the correct section within this forum.
Please excuse my question as i have no idea about any physics and my mathematical knowledge is limited.

Can someone tell me if my understanding in correct.

If an object in space moves, it will never stop unless this object comes in contact with an equal and opposite force?

and

If an object in space accelerates 98km 99km 100km and then stops whatever is accelerating it will in keep accelerating?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1. "...in contact with an equal and opposite force" to what?
the object won't stop unless a there is a force that causes it to decelerate until it stops.

2. No, it will keep moving at a constant 100km/h.
Remember that acceleration involves work and energy, so nothing accelerates unless there is a force acting on it and exerting force on it.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes to make that change. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate at which an object's position changes over time, while acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. In other words, velocity is the speed and direction of an object, while acceleration is the change in that speed and direction.

4. How does force affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, an object's acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

5. How does gravity impact movement in space?

In space, gravity is the main force that affects the movement of objects. It causes objects to accelerate towards each other, with the strength of the gravitational force depending on the mass and distance between the objects. This is why objects in space, such as planets and satellites, orbit around each other.