How does a Capacitor Bank work

In summary, Dave wants a switch that will discharge all the caps in a bank at once. This is a bad idea because it could be dangerous.
Learnphysics
I'm thinking of building a Capacitor bank.I'm here to confirm that i just connect the capacitors in parallel with each other? Do i put the discharge terminals in parallel too, just like any other circuit?

How would i go about adding a feature to discharge all capacitors simultaneously? (by means of a switch).

Forgive my newbie questions, I've never built one of these before, and my knowledge of Capacitors is geared towards rectification circuits rather than build banks with them.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yup..."bank" means put'em all in parallel. Once wired in parallel, it will be kinda hard to not discharge them all at once since all their +/- terminals (presuming that you are working with largish electrolytic caps) will be connected together.

Be careful, you can get quite a jolt of power when discharging. If you just put a switch across the bank pins you'll probably invent the one-time-operation switch. For an educational example: Start with a fairly low charge voltage and a small number of capacitors. Charge them up, disconnect the charging current, and lay the shaft of a screwdriver you don't much care about across the terminals. Then extrapolate to the voltage and capacity you were thinking of using.

It's also a good idea to put a fairly high resistance resistor across the terminals so the bank slowly discharges when disconnected. Otherwise you can get quite a shock when you casually pick them up after they have not been powered for a while.

schip666! said:
It's also a good idea to put a fairly high resistance resistor across the terminals so the bank slowly discharges when disconnected. Otherwise you can get quite a shock when you casually pick them up after they have not been powered for a while.

awwww that was the good ol' mean trick to do to the new trainee techs in the workshop
... leave a few charged caps lying around waiting for the unsuspecting ;)

cant do it these days with OH & S etc etc taken all the fun out of the workplace ;)

but on a serious note, I would like a better explanation from Learnphysics on what he meant by using a switch to discharge the cap bank.
Did he want the switch to discharge the cap charge into a specific cct in one burst
thats ok :)
but if he was wanting to just to short out the cap bank... then as you said .. a really bad idea !

Dave

davenn said:
awwww that was the good ol' mean trick to do to the new trainee techs in the workshop
... leave a few charged caps lying around waiting for the unsuspecting ;)

cant do it these days with OH & S etc etc taken all the fun out of the workplace ;)

but on a serious note, I would like a better explanation from Learnphysics on what he meant by using a switch to discharge the cap bank.
Did he want the switch to discharge the cap charge into a specific cct in one burst
thats ok :)
but if he was wanting to just to short out the cap bank... then as you said .. a really bad idea !

Dave

I suppose what I'm going for is similar to what a flash camera does on a larger scale. (with more caps) So a switch that discharges the cap in a burst.

1. How does a Capacitor Bank store energy?

A Capacitor Bank is a collection of individual capacitors connected together in parallel. When connected to a power source, the capacitors charge up and store electrical energy in an electric field between their plates.

2. What is the purpose of using a Capacitor Bank?

A Capacitor Bank is used to store and release large amounts of electrical energy quickly. It can provide a short burst of power to compensate for fluctuations in the power grid or to meet sudden high demands.

3. How does a Capacitor Bank discharge its energy?

When a Capacitor Bank is connected to a load, the stored energy is released in a controlled manner. The capacitors discharge their energy through the load, providing a high amount of power in a short amount of time.

4. How are Capacitor Banks used in power systems?

Capacitor Banks are often used in power systems to improve power quality and reduce power loss. They can also provide reactive power to improve the efficiency of the system.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a Capacitor Bank?

Capacitor Banks can store high amounts of energy, so proper precautions must be taken when working with them. This includes proper grounding, discharge procedures, and following safety guidelines for handling high voltage equipment.