Magnitude and Duration of Inrush on various lighting technologies

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a table with the magnitude and duration of inrush for various lighting technologies at different levels. The question is generalized to include any type of light bulb and the duration of inrush in different temperature conditions. A suggestion is made to search for inrush on a Wikipedia page for incandescent light bulbs, but no further information is provided for other lighting technologies.
mgookin
Hi:

I'm wondering where I can find a table with the magnitude and duration of inrush on the many various lighting technologies at the various levels they come in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
OK I'll make the question more generalized.

We know the duration of inrush is relative to ambient temperature of a light bulb.

From room temp to Tmax will be something.
And from zero deg to Tmax will be more.

But are we talking about 20ms, 200ms, 20s, etc?

Anyone have a clue for any type of light bulb?

Thanks!

mgookin said:
OK I'll make the question more generalized.

We know the duration of inrush is relative to ambient temperature of a light bulb.

From room temp to Tmax will be something.
And from zero deg to Tmax will be more.

But are we talking about 20ms, 200ms, 20s, etc?

Anyone have a clue for any type of light bulb?

Thanks!

Search for "inrush" on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

That should give you a ballpark idea for incandescent bulbs. I'm no help on the other lighting technologies -- well, except for LEDs :tongue2:

berkeman said:
Search for "inrush" on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb

That should give you a ballpark idea for incandescent bulbs. I'm no help on the other lighting technologies -- well, except for LEDs :tongue2:

Thank you Berkeman. That is very useful information. If anyone knows any sources for other lighting technologies that would help as well. Thanks again.

1. What is an inrush current?

An inrush current is a temporary surge of current that occurs when a device or equipment is turned on. It is a common phenomenon in lighting technologies, as the initial surge of current is needed to power up the components and stabilize the circuit.

2. How does the magnitude of inrush current vary among different lighting technologies?

The magnitude of inrush current can vary significantly among different lighting technologies. LED lights typically have a lower inrush current compared to fluorescent or incandescent lights, as they have a more efficient power conversion process. However, the exact magnitude of inrush current can also depend on other factors such as the design of the lighting system and the type of driver used.

3. Can inrush current cause damage to the lighting system?

Inrush current can potentially cause damage to the lighting system if it is significantly higher than the rated current for the system. This can lead to overheating and premature failure of components. It is important to properly size and design the lighting system to handle the expected inrush current.

4. How long does an inrush current last?

The duration of inrush current can vary depending on the specific lighting technology and the design of the system. In general, it can last anywhere from a few milliseconds to a few seconds. The duration may also be affected by factors such as the ambient temperature and the load on the circuit.

5. Is there a way to reduce the magnitude of inrush current?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the magnitude of inrush current in lighting systems. One method is to use soft-start circuits, which gradually increase the current to the system over a period of time, rather than all at once. Another way is to use inrush current limiters, which are components that can temporarily restrict the flow of current during startup. Properly sizing and designing the lighting system can also help reduce the magnitude of inrush current.