Solving Stationary Waves Homework Problems

In summary, based on the answer to the primitive question, the shortest possible time period between flashes would be 0.5*T or one oscillation.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

A primitive question yet I can't am having difficulty in solving it.
http://img524.imageshack.us/i/confusedu.png"

Homework Equations

F = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

The only value given is the difference in the time frame of the respective waves.The only other thing I could pick out of this question is the difference in the phases of both waves.
So i thought of doing ti this way:
Let "X" be the time period of one wave.By doing so:
X/0.1 = 2pi/pi *Pi : Since the bottom wave is in antiphase to the top one by 180 degree ?:s
Am I on the right track ? Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From one flash to the next (a time period of 0.1 s), the point P on the rope goes from being at a trough to being a crest (in the wave). Therefore, what is the smallest number of periods that could have elapsed in that 0.1 s? Is it a full period? Half a period?

Based on the answer to my question above, what is the longest possible period for the wave? How are the other possible periods related to this one? (Hint: they should be integer fractions of it, and the thing that differentiates them from each other is how many oscillations the waves goes through in between illuminations).

cepheid said:
From one flash to the next (a time period of 0.1 s), the point P on the rope goes from being at a trough to being a crest (in the wave). Therefore, what is the smallest number of periods that could have elapsed in that 0.1 s? Is it a full period? Half a period?

Based on the answer to my question above, what is the longest possible period for the wave? How are the other possible periods related to this one? (Hint: they should be integer fractions of it, and the thing that differentiates them from each other is how many oscillations the waves goes through in between illuminations).

Will the smallest no. of periods be half ?
Err Sorry but I still don't get it.Could this question be solved in terms of phase difference ? :s

Anyone ?

ibysaiyan said:
Will the smallest no. of periods be half ?

Yes, because the shortest way to go from a trough to a crest is to experience half of an oscillation. Do you understand? A full oscillation would be to go from trough to crest and then back to trough again.

So, we have concluded that one possibility is that the 0.1 s interval between flashes corresponded to half of the period of oscillation of the wave. Call the period "T".

0.1 s = 0.5*T

So right there, you have one possible value for the period of the wave. Sorry for the delay in responding.

1. What are stationary waves?

Stationary waves are a type of wave that appears to be standing still, even though the individual particles are still oscillating. They are formed when two waves with the same amplitude and frequency travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other.

2. How do I determine the wavelength of a stationary wave?

The wavelength of a stationary wave can be determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive nodes (points of zero amplitude) or two consecutive antinodes (points of maximum amplitude).

3. What is the difference between nodes and antinodes in a stationary wave?

Nodes are points of zero amplitude in a stationary wave, where there is no displacement of the particles. Antinodes, on the other hand, are points of maximum amplitude where the particles experience the greatest displacement.

4. How do I calculate the frequency of a stationary wave?

The frequency of a stationary wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by the wavelength. The speed of the wave can be determined by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency of the source.

5. What are some common applications of stationary waves?

Stationary waves have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where they create resonant frequencies. They are also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, and in telecommunications for signal transmission. They are also important in understanding the behavior of light and electromagnetic waves.