Hadron collider substance used

In summary, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) uses superconducting magnets made of niobium-titanium alloy, which are kept at extremely low temperatures (4-5 kelvin) for maximum efficiency.
lewis1440
Q.) what substance is used for the hadron collider, the metal? I presume a metal compound of some sort but was wondering which and would it have to withstand high temperatures or are the electromagnets used kept at low temperatures due to better effieciency?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "the hadron collider"? The LHC is built out of many different materials.

Apologies, I was referring to the electromagnets used

lewis1440 said:
Apologies, I was referring to the electromagnets used

They use superconducting magnets that are kept at about 4-5 kelvin.

That's way too warm. 1.9K is closer.

Superconducting magnets, like most complex machines, are made up of many things. The superconducting cable itself is made up of niobium-titanium alloy.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's way too warm. 1.9K is closer.

Superconducting magnets, like most complex machines, are made up of many things. The superconducting cable itself is made up of niobium-titanium alloy.

My mistake. I knew it was close to 0k though. That'll cause some shrinkage...

1. What is the Hadron Collider substance used for?

The Hadron Collider substance is used to accelerate particles to high energies and then collide them together. This allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and gain a better understanding of the universe.

2. What is the substance used in the Hadron Collider made of?

The substance used in the Hadron Collider is made of two types of particles: protons and lead ions. The protons are obtained from hydrogen gas while the lead ions are obtained from lead atoms.

3. How does the Hadron Collider substance create collisions?

The Hadron Collider substance is accelerated in opposite directions using powerful magnets and then collided together at high speeds. This collision creates a tremendous amount of energy, which can then be studied by scientists.

4. Is the Hadron Collider substance dangerous?

The Hadron Collider substance is not inherently dangerous. The particles used in the collider are very small and do not pose a threat to human health. However, the energy produced during collisions can be dangerous if not properly contained and controlled.

5. What are the potential applications of the Hadron Collider substance?

The Hadron Collider substance has many potential applications in the fields of physics, astronomy, and medicine. By studying the collisions that occur, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and potentially discover new particles and forces. This knowledge can also lead to advancements in technology and medical treatments.