Magnetic Field in a Single Current Coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the magnetic field at any point within a single loop of current. The magnetic field along an axis perpendicular to the coil can be determined, but the solution for the field in the plane of the coil involves a difficult integral. The suggestion to use the biot-savart law is mentioned, but the integral remains challenging. One possible solution is to define a function with the integral, but it may be difficult due to the use of elliptic integrals."
opsb
I understand that the magnetic field in a solenoid can be approximated as being constant as the length of the solenoid tends to infinity, but I was wondering if anyone could show me or point me in the direction of a derivation of the precise magnetic field at any point within a single loop of current. The magnetic field at any point along an axis perpendicular to the coil running through its centre can be determined, is there a solution to the field at any point in the plane of the coil. I wrote the problem down and got an integral that looked pretty hard, and I couldn't figure out a way to solve it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try the biot-savart law ? It might work

I did, but you get this really tricky integral. I was wondering if there might be a smarter way to do it than brute force.

When you run into a difficult integral: just use it to define a function and name it after yourself!

Although in this case it seems to be elliptic integrals, which are already taken :-)

Did you get the same as this?:

http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopoffaxis.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

I would be happy to provide a response to your inquiry about the magnetic field in a single current coil. The magnetic field in a single current coil is a complex topic and has been studied extensively by researchers in the field of electromagnetism. There are several ways to approach this problem, and I will outline a few potential solutions for you to explore further.

One approach is to use Ampere's law, which relates the magnetic field to the current flowing through a closed loop. In the case of a single current coil, the closed loop can be taken as the perimeter of the coil. By integrating over this loop, you can determine the magnetic field at any point in the plane of the coil. This approach requires some mathematical rigor and may be the integral that you mentioned in your inquiry. However, it is a valid and widely used method for calculating the magnetic field in a single current coil.

Another approach is to use Biot-Savart's law, which relates the magnetic field to the current density at a given point. This method is more general and can be applied to any current-carrying wire or coil. By considering the current density at different points along the coil, you can determine the magnetic field at any point in the plane of the coil. This approach also requires some mathematical calculations, but it may be more intuitive and easier to understand than Ampere's law.

There are also computer simulations and numerical methods that can be used to model the magnetic field in a single current coil. These methods use mathematical algorithms and computer programs to solve the equations that describe the behavior of the magnetic field. This approach may be useful if you are interested in visualizing the magnetic field or if you want to explore different parameters, such as the shape or size of the coil.

In conclusion, there are several ways to approach the problem of determining the magnetic field in a single current coil. I recommend exploring each of these methods and seeing which one works best for your specific problem. Additionally, there are many resources available online and in scientific literature that provide derivations and solutions to this problem. I hope this response has been helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in your research.

1. What is a magnetic field in a single current coil?

A magnetic field in a single current coil is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by a flow of electric current through a wire, which creates a circular magnetic field around the wire.

2. How is the strength of a magnetic field in a single current coil determined?

The strength of a magnetic field in a single current coil is determined by the amount of current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the number of turns in the coil. The greater the current, the closer the distance, and the more turns in the coil, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

3. What is the direction of a magnetic field in a single current coil?

The direction of a magnetic field in a single current coil is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does a magnetic field in a single current coil affect nearby objects?

A magnetic field in a single current coil can affect nearby objects in several ways. It can induce a current in a nearby wire, attract or repel magnetic materials, and exert a force on charged particles.

5. Can a magnetic field in a single current coil be controlled?

Yes, a magnetic field in a single current coil can be controlled by changing the amount of current, the distance from the wire, and the number of turns in the coil. It can also be controlled by using materials with different magnetic permeability, such as iron or copper, around the coil.