Spivaks Calculus on a Manifold

In summary, to prove the triangle inequality theorem, one approach is to manipulate the given expression using properties of real numbers and basic algebra, or using the properties of triangles and basic geometry. Since the Law of Cosines is mentioned, a possible approach is to manipulate the expression to resemble the Law of Cosines and then use the properties of triangles to show its equivalence to the triangle inequality.
Storm Butler

Homework Statement

Prove the triangle inequality theorem [tex]\leftX-Y\right\rfloor\lfloor[/tex][tex]\leq\leftZ-Y\right\rfloor\lfloor[/tex]+[tex]\leftY-X\right\rfloor\lfloor[/tex]. (my computer just shows the latex as a bunch of script so i don't know if that came out right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this isn't actually for H.W. i was just trying to work through the examples in spivaks book. That being said i don't really know if there is an appropriate way to approach this or anything but i thought i might be able to get it by looking at the Law of cosines and trying to se if i could get it to look anything like it and go on from there. However, it isn't obvious to me if this is a good path to take or not. So i would just like someone to kind of give me a hint and tell me if what I am attempting is right or a hint towards another way that might be better. (please don't give the answer though as i would like to work out as much of it as i can myself).
-Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, it's great that you're trying to work through the examples in Spivak's book!

To prove the triangle inequality theorem, there are a few different approaches you could take. One approach would be to use the properties of the real numbers and basic algebra to manipulate the given expression into a form that is more easily recognizable as the triangle inequality. Another approach would be to use the properties of triangles and basic geometry to show that the given expression is a valid representation of the triangle inequality.

Since you mentioned the Law of Cosines, let's explore that approach a bit more. The Law of Cosines states that for a triangle with sides of lengths a, b, and c, and angles A, B, and C opposite those sides, we have c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab*cos(C). This can also be written as c^2 = (a-b)^2 + 2ab*(1-cos(C)). Notice that this is similar to the given expression, except for the absolute value signs.

So, one approach could be to try to manipulate the given expression to look more like the Law of Cosines. Can you think of any properties of absolute values or algebraic manipulations that could help you do this? Once you have the expression in a form that resembles the Law of Cosines, you could then use the properties of triangles to show that it is equivalent to the triangle inequality.

I hope this helps and gives you a good starting point. Good luck with your problem solving!

1. What is "Spivak's Calculus on a Manifold"?

"Spivak's Calculus on a Manifold" is a mathematical textbook written by Michael Spivak. It covers the fundamentals of calculus on manifolds, which are higher-dimensional spaces that can be curved or twisted. This book is often used in undergraduate and graduate courses on differential geometry and analysis.

2. Who is the target audience for "Spivak's Calculus on a Manifold"?

This book is primarily aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics, physics, and engineering who have a strong foundation in single and multivariable calculus. It assumes a solid understanding of mathematical proof techniques and linear algebra.

3. How is "Spivak's Calculus on a Manifold" organized?

The book is divided into seven chapters, each covering a different aspect of calculus on manifolds. The first chapter introduces the concept of a manifold and covers basic topics such as smooth functions and tangent vectors. The remaining chapters cover topics such as differential forms, integration on manifolds, and Stokes' theorem.

4. What sets "Spivak's Calculus on a Manifold" apart from other textbooks on the subject?

One of the unique features of this book is its emphasis on developing intuition and geometric understanding, rather than just focusing on formalism and calculations. The author also includes a large number of challenging exercises to help readers deepen their understanding of the material.

5. Is "Spivak's Calculus on a Manifold" suitable for self-study?

While the book can be used for self-study, it is best suited for use in a classroom setting with a knowledgeable instructor. The material can be quite challenging and having access to additional resources, such as lectures or a study group, can be extremely helpful in fully grasping the concepts presented in the book.