How to determine linear force from rotational force?

In summary, Mike is trying to figure out how to calculate the force needed to raise and lower a platform using a rack and pinion combined with a stepper motor. He is unsure of how to convert the motor rating to linear "strength" or "holding point" based on a rack and pinion design, and is looking for help. If you know the weight of the platform and the dimensions of the platform, you can help him estimate the force he will need.
mikegrundvig
Hi all; I'm building a mechanism that will raise and lower a small platform but I need to determine how much force is needed. Sadly, until the platform is built and set up I won't know how heavy it will be so I'm trying to just determine how to calculate the force various motors can put out so I can pick them correctly when I'm ready.

Basically, I'd like to use a rack-and-pinion combined with a stepper motor to handle the movement. I THINK this is a simple question, I have the strength of the stepper motors available in either ounce/inches or gram/centimeters and conversion between them is simple enough. The problem is that I have no idea how to convert that motor rating to linear "strength" or "holding point" based on a rack-and-pinion design. I'll be machining both the rack and the pinion so I'm completely flexible on the tooth size and count. BTW - here is a sample of the type of motors I'd like to use:
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c111/P113.pdf

Any help or guidance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mike,

you could use;

motor power (W) = Linear Force from platform (Newtons) x Linear Velocity of platform (metres per second) = ...(Watts)

There are other ways of calculating it I'm sure, but this is quite simple.Adam

1988 ajk give you the answer and for "Sadly, until the platform is built and set up I won't know how heavy it will be ". You can estimate it if you know what materials are been used and the size (dimensions) of platform

If you don't know the force your lifting you can't choose a motor, and you definitely cannot machine a rack and pinion as you have no idea of the stress the components will be under, which will help you choose the correct module etc.

the weight of the platform is the most important starting point of your design calculations, so that you can design all components around this force. this will ensure your system is SAFE

Note; if you have designed it with 3d CAD the weight is calculated for you...

1. How do you calculate linear force from rotational force?

To calculate linear force from rotational force, you will need to know the distance between the point of rotation and the location where the linear force is being applied. You will also need to know the amount of rotational force being applied. Then, you can use the formula F = r x T, where F is the linear force, r is the distance, and T is the rotational force.

2. Can you use a torque wrench to determine linear force?

Yes, you can use a torque wrench to determine linear force. Torque is a type of rotational force, and by using the formula F = r x T, you can calculate the corresponding linear force.

3. How does the angle of rotation affect the linear force?

The angle of rotation does not directly affect the linear force. However, if the angle of rotation is not perpendicular to the direction of the linear force, then you will need to use the formula F = r x T x sin(θ), where θ is the angle between the rotational force and the direction of the linear force.

4. What units are used to measure linear force and rotational force?

Linear force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), while rotational force is measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lbs).

5. Can you determine the linear force without knowing the distance from the point of rotation?

No, you cannot determine the linear force without knowing the distance from the point of rotation. The distance is a crucial factor in calculating the linear force using the formula F = r x T. Without this information, the linear force cannot be accurately determined.