Understanding SMPS Parameters: Burst Duty, Frequency & More

In summary, the Burst duty, burst frequency, Timing/phase shift and timing/dead time parameters are important in a switching power supply because they control the amount of power that is delivered to the load in short bursts.
rama1001
Hi,
I am doing an application regarding SMPS. In the project i encounter the terms "Burst duty, burst frequency, Timing/phase shift and timing/ dead time".

Can anyone explaine me about those parameters and how they are important in SMPS working.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rama1001 said:
Hi,
I am doing an application regarding SMPS. In the project i encounter the terms "Burst duty, burst frequency, Timing/phase shift and timing/ dead time".

Can anyone explaine me about those parameters and how they are important in SMPS working.

What textbook are you using for your studying of SMPS?

EDIT -- Even though this is a project, and possibly qualifies to be posted here in EE instead of the Homework Help forums, we will not do your project for you. You need to learn how to figure these things out on your own, without asking for the answers on a web forum.

If you can post the reasearch you've done, and show what is confusing you, we can try to clear up any confusions you have. But please don't ask us to give you the answers to questions on your project that you can figure out on your own with a little reading.

berkeman said:
What textbook are you using for your studying of SMPS?

This is just making GUI for digital control. In building that, I saw these parameters and i need to get commands for those specified parameters. That is the reason, i want make my self clear about those parameters. I am not reading any textbook now and even i searched web for information. At last no clear answer for those parameters.

rama1001 said:
This is just making GUI for digital control. In building that, I saw these parameters and i need to get commands for those specified parameters. That is the reason, i want make my self clear about those parameters. I am not reading any textbook now and even i searched web for information. At last no clear answer for those parameters.

The wikipedia intro article is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_power_supply

And the External Links at the bottom of the article will get you to articles that describe most of the terms you are asking about. Please try reading through those first...

1. What is the purpose of understanding SMPS parameters?

Understanding SMPS parameters is important for designing and troubleshooting switch mode power supplies (SMPS). These parameters provide valuable information about the performance and efficiency of the SMPS, which can help in optimizing its operation and identifying potential issues.

2. What is burst duty cycle in an SMPS?

Burst duty cycle is the ratio of time the SMPS is actively switching to the total time of one switching cycle. It is typically expressed as a percentage and determines how much power is delivered to the load. A higher burst duty cycle results in more power being delivered to the load, while a lower duty cycle reduces power consumption.

3. How does frequency affect SMPS operation?

The switching frequency of an SMPS determines how quickly it can convert the input voltage to the desired output voltage. Higher frequencies result in faster response times and smaller components, but also increase switching losses and electromagnetic interference. It is important to select an appropriate frequency based on the specific application requirements.

4. What is the significance of output voltage ripple in SMPS?

Output voltage ripple refers to the small fluctuations in the output voltage of an SMPS. These fluctuations are caused by the switching action of the SMPS and can affect the stability and reliability of the power supply. It is important to minimize output voltage ripple to ensure proper functioning of the SMPS.

5. How can I measure and monitor SMPS parameters?

SMPS parameters can be measured using specialized test equipment such as oscilloscopes and power analyzers. These tools can provide accurate measurements of parameters such as duty cycle, frequency, and output voltage ripple. Additionally, some SMPS also have built-in monitoring features that allow for real-time monitoring of parameters during operation.