Energy Conservation & Potential Energy Spring/Friction Problem

In summary, the problem involves a 0.80-kg block being held in place by a 67-N external force, then projected with a velocity of 1.2 m/s. It then descends a frictionless ramp and enters a rough section with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.39. The block eventually stops at point D. The force constant of the spring is needed to solve the problem, but it can be found by using the equations K1 + U1 = K2 + U2 and U2=0.5kx^2.
Help1212

Homework Statement

A 0.80-kg block is held in place against the spring by a 67-N horizontal external force. The external force is removed, and the block is projected with a velocity v1 = 1.2 m/s upon separation from the spring. The block descends a ramp and has a velocity v2 = 1.9 m/s at the bottom. The track is frictionless between points A and B. The block enters a rough section at B, extending to E. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.39. The velocity of the block is v3 = 1.4 m/s at C. The block moves on to D, where it stops. In Fig. 7.4, the force constant of the spring is..

7.4.jpg

Homework Equations

K1 +U1 +W other = K2+ U2.. ect .. U2=0.5kx^2 .. K1=(0.5)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tries solving the problem with the equation above but I really just don't know where to start especially since there are no units of distance given.. Can someone lead me in the right direction please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Help1212! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

I assume you can find kx and kx2/2 ?

ok, then k = … ? :wink:

euhh... I'm still a little confused..how do i find k if I don't know x?

x is twice kx2/2 divided by kx :wink:

hmm. well when I move around the equation i get k=2[0.5(mv22)/x2

from the assumption that K1 + U1 = K2 + U2

Am i going in the right direction??

can you find kx and kx2/2 ?

if so, what are they?

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in order to preserve natural resources and protect the environment. It involves using energy efficiently and finding alternative sources of energy to reduce our dependence on non-renewable resources.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

How does a spring store potential energy?

A spring stores potential energy by being compressed or stretched. When a spring is compressed or stretched, it exerts a force that tries to return it to its original state. This force is known as elastic potential energy and is stored in the spring until it is released.

What is the role of friction in potential energy conservation?

Friction plays an important role in potential energy conservation because it is a force that opposes motion. When an object is in motion, friction will act against it, converting some of its kinetic energy into heat. This means that less energy is available to do work, thus conserving potential energy.

How can we use potential energy conservation to reduce our energy consumption?

We can use potential energy conservation by finding ways to reduce our energy consumption, such as using energy-efficient appliances and vehicles, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using renewable energy sources. By conserving potential energy, we can reduce the amount of energy we use and lessen our impact on the environment.