Proof: Showing C(n,0) < C(n,1) <...<C(n, floor(n/2)) = C(n, ceiling(n/2))

In summary, the problem is asking to show that for a positive integer n, the values of binomial coefficients C(n,0) to C(n,n) form an increasing sequence up to the middle term, and then a decreasing sequence. This can be proven by using the fact that C(n, k) is greatest when k is equal to n/2 for even n and (n+1)/2 or (n-1)/2 for odd n. Additionally, the ratio C(n,k+1)/C(n,k) can be used to show that the ceiling and floor sets are equal. However, using induction may not be the most straightforward approach for this proof.
DrWillVKN
Show that if n is a positive integer, then C(n,0) < C(n,1) <...<C(n, floor(n/2)) = C

Homework Statement

Show that if n is a positive integer, then C(n,0) < C(n,1) <...<C(n, floor(n/2)) = C(n, ceiling(n/2)) > ... > C(n, n)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems pretty direct, but I could be wrong. I suppose induction could work, too (or might be necessary).

The statement seems to imply that C(n, floor(n/2)) > C(n, k) for floor(n/2) > k >= 0 and C(n, ceiling(n/2)) > C(n, k) for ceiling(n/2) > k >= 0; n and k are positive integers. This can be stated because C(n, k) = C(n, n-k). P(n, k) = C(n, k)*k! by basic counting observation. Do these parts still need to be proven before they are shown to be equal? Does one need to use pascal's identity for this?

The trouble I have with the problem is with the flow of this proof. C(n, floor(n/2)) > C(n, k) for n>= k >= 0 because C(n, k) is greatest when k = n/2 for even, and k = (n+1)/2 = ceiling(n/2) and k = (n-1)/2 = floor(n/2) for odd, yet I don't know how I would go about stating this. It's too basic and intuitive.

Since C(n, k) = P(n, k)/k!, there are two cases to show:

1) When k is even, C(k, floor(k/2)) = k!/[(k/2)!(k/2)!], and C(k, ceiling(k/2)) = n!/[(k/2)!(k/2)!].
2) When k is odd, C(k, floor(k/2)) = k!/[(k-1/2)!(k+1/2)!] and C(k, ceiling(k/2)) = k!/[(k+1/2)!(k-1/2)!].

Thus, C(n, floor(n/2)) = C(n, ceiling(n/2)) > C(n, k) for n >=k >= 0 .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would try to write down an expression for the ratio C(n,k+1)/C(n,k). If it's greater than one C(n,k+1)>C(n,k), if it's less than one C(n,k+1)<C(n,k).

So the ratio would fit everything on the left and right side in place, and then it comes together when k hits the floor and ceiling, and they're joined by equating them? I'm still confused about how to use the ratio (and for combinatorial proofs in general).

I have a hard time doing it by combinatorial proof, but by induction I have (for inductive step) the inductive hypothesis being the statement, adding the k + 1 term to the k term and showing pascal's identity, and then joining the left and right hand side by showing the ceiling and floor sets in the inductive step to be equal using algebra

Last edited:

DrWillVKN said:
So the ratio would fit everything on the left and right side in place, and then it comes together when k hits the floor and ceiling, and they're joined by equating them? I'm still confused about how to use the ratio (and for combinatorial proofs in general).

I have a hard time doing it by combinatorial proof, but by induction I have (for inductive step) the inductive hypothesis being the statement, adding the k + 1 term to the k term and showing pascal's identity, and then joining the left and right hand side by showing the ceiling and floor sets in the inductive step to be equal using algebra.

I don't think induction is the easy way to do it. Did you figure out a simple expression for C(n,k+1)/C(n,k)? Just looking at it might help you organize your thoughts.

1. What is the meaning of C(n,k)?

C(n,k) represents the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects, also known as the combination function.

2. Why is C(n,0) always less than C(n,1)?

When choosing 0 objects from a set of n objects, there is only one possible combination (choosing nothing), while choosing 1 object from a set of n objects has n possible combinations. Therefore, C(n,0) is always less than C(n,1).

3. How does the proof show that C(n,0) < C(n,1) <...

The proof uses the property of combinations that C(n,k) = C(n,n-k) to show that as k increases from 0 to floor(n/2), the value of C(n,k) increases and then decreases, resulting in the middle terms being equal. This also means that the maximum value of C(n,k) occurs when k = floor(n/2) or ceiling(n/2).

4. Is there a visual representation of this proof?

Yes, the proof can be represented graphically by plotting the values of C(n,k) as k increases from 0 to n. The graph will show the increasing and then decreasing trend, with the maximum value occurring at k = floor(n/2) or ceiling(n/2).

5. What is the significance of this proof?

This proof is significant as it shows that the maximum number of possible combinations from a set of n objects occurs when choosing either floor(n/2) or ceiling(n/2) objects. This can be useful in various mathematical and statistical applications.