[Special Relativity] - Time Dilation

In summary, the problem asks for the proper time it would take for a cosmic ray proton with 15J of energy to travel from the galaxy M31 to our Galaxy, a distance of 2.5x106 light-years. The solution involves calculating \gamma and using the equation for proper time, resulting in a time of 792.01 seconds. The question is for a past paper and not for an assessment.
ajclarke

Homework Statement

If a cosmic ray proton has 15J of energy how long, according to the proton's proper time would it take to travel from the galaxy M31 to our Galaxy, a distance that we mesure as 2.5x106 light-years?

Homework Equations

[tex]K.E = m_{o}c^2 (\gamma -1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I work out [tex]\gamma[/tex] to be [tex]9.962 \times 10^{10}[/tex] and then using the usual equation for [tex]\gamma[/tex] I get the velocity to be c.

In our frame [tex]T=\frac{\Delta X}{c} = 7.89 \times 10^{13}[/tex] seconds

Proper time [tex]\tau=\frac{T}{\gamma}=\frac{7.89 \times 10^{13}}{9.962 \times 10^{10}} = 792.01[/tex] seconds.THis isn't for an assessment, I am revising for me end of year exam looking through past papers. Anyone give me some indication if this is correct and if not, where my mistakes are.

THanks a bunch.
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see anything wrong with it, assuming you solved for [tex] \gamma [/tex] correctly. It looks about right though.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time passes at a slower rate for an object or person that is moving at high speeds. This is a fundamental concept in Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. As an object or person approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for them relative to an observer who is not moving at such a high speed.

3. What does time dilation mean for space travel?

For space travel, time dilation means that astronauts traveling at high speeds will experience time passing at a slower rate compared to people on Earth. This means that when they return from their journey, they will have aged less than their counterparts on Earth.

4. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation can be measured using special relativity equations and comparing the time experienced by an object or person at a high speed to the time experienced by an observer. It has been tested and confirmed through experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment.

5. Does time dilation only occur for objects moving at high speeds?

No, time dilation can also occur for objects in strong gravitational fields. This is known as gravitational time dilation and is a result of the bending of spacetime by massive objects such as planets or stars.