Hello i'm new over here Hope i'm writing where it should be

In summary, the equation x = cos(x) also has no known explicit solution. However, you can very easily approximate the answer by Newton-Rhapson or similar algorithms.
abel_ghita
hello! I'm new over here.. Hope I'm writing where it should be written.
What is the solution of
x=tangent(x)
?
Well.. in fact I'm looking for the point where the graphs of function tangent and its inverse, arctangent, intersect each other (if we plot them on the same coordinated frame)... These three points of intersection must be on the first bisector, as we know that these two functions are symmetric with respect to the first bisector.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, 0 is an obvious answer. But I don't think you'll find the other two points explicitely. This is not unusual, the equation x=cos(x) also has no known explicit solution.

However, you can very easily approximate the answer by Newton-Rhapson or similar algorithms...

Thanks!
Yes..those two other solutions were my problem...Newton-Rhapson?? i didn't even hear about this so far.. but i'll search for it... In the mean time.. could you find this approximation for me?
Thanks!:wink:

abel_ghita said:
Thanks!
Yes..those two other solutions were my problem...Newton-Rhapson?? i didn't even hear about this so far.. but i'll search for it... In the mean time.. could you find this approximation for me?
Thanks!:wink:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x=arctan(x)&lk=4&num=2

so I guess +-1.5708

Are you sure? Pi/2 and Tangent(Pi/2) are not close... (and notice what happens

at Pi/2 )

Funny that this was revived by the OP after more than a year since the last reply.

At any rate, ##x = \arctan(x)## only has one real solution, x = 0. You can prove this by looking at the derivatives: the derivative of x is of course 1, and you can show that away from x = 0 the derivative of arctan(x) is always less than one, so there will not be any intersections between the two curves except at x = 0.

However, an equation like ##x = \arctan(2x)## does have three solutions.

A similar equation, ##m = \tanh(2z\beta J m)##, arises when solving the mean field Ising model for the magnetization m, demonstrating that there exists a phase transition from a paramagnet, corresponding to m = 0, to a ferromagnet, ##m \neq 0##.

Last edited:

1. What does "Hello i'm new over here" mean?

"Hello i'm new over here" is a phrase commonly used by new members of a community or online platform to introduce themselves and indicate that they are new to the space.

2. Is this the right place to introduce myself as a new member?

Yes, this is an appropriate place to introduce yourself as a new member. It is a good way to connect with others and start building relationships within the community.

3. How can I get involved in the community as a new member?

There are many ways to get involved in the community as a new member. You can start by introducing yourself, participating in discussions, asking questions, and offering your insights and expertise.

4. Is there anything I should know as a new member?

As a new member, it is important to familiarize yourself with the community guidelines and rules. Additionally, take some time to get to know the community and its members, and be respectful and open-minded in your interactions.

5. What should I do if I have any questions or concerns as a new member?

If you have any questions or concerns as a new member, you can reach out to the community moderators or other members for assistance. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification, as the community is here to support and guide you.