Series Motor, what is the efficiency?

In summary, the problem involves a DC series motor with given operating characteristics and the task is to calculate the current, speed, and efficiency under certain load conditions. The attempt at a solution involves using base values and equations to calculate these values, but the calculated efficiency is always greater than 100%. The mistake is found in using incorrect values for the calculations.
Kniculus
I have worked this particular problem many times and I keep calculating a power in P(in) that is smaller than calculated power out P(out), resulting in an impossible efficiency of >100%.

Is there a mistake in the problem or in my work?

Homework Statement

A 20 hp, 230 V, 1800 rpm DC series motor has a full-load current of 50 A. Its operating characteristics are given by the figure below.

torque_characteristics.png

Calculate the following:
A. The current and speed when the load torque is 30 N-m.
B. What is the efficiency under the conditions above.

Homework Equations

P=nT/9.55
efficiency = P(out)/P(in)*100%

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found base values:
P(base) = 20hp (*746) = 14920 W
n(base) = 1800 rpm
I(base) = 50 A
T(base) = [9.55*P(base)]/n = (9.55*14920)/1800 = 79.16 N-m

A.
I = I(pu)*I(base) = 0.6*50A = 30 A
n = n(pu)*n(base) = 1.4*1800rpm = 2520 rpm

B.
P(in) = EI = 230V*30A = 6900 W
P(out) = nT/9.55 = 2520*30/9.55 = 7916.23 W
efficiency = P(out)/P(in)*100 = (7916.23/6900)*100 = 115% ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have done this problem many times, and the efficiency always ends up being >100%. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The efficiency you calculated is incorrect. You need to use the base values of current, power, speed, and torque to calculate the efficiency, not the new values you calculated for part A.P(in) = EI(base) = 230V*50A = 11500 WP(out) = n(base)T(base)/9.55 = 1800*79.16/9.55 = 13731.68 Wefficiency = P(out)/P(in)*100 = (13731.68/11500)*100 = 119.5%

1. What is a series motor?

A series motor is a type of electric motor in which the armature and field windings are connected in series. This means that the current flows through both windings in the same direction, resulting in a strong magnetic field and high torque output.

2. How does a series motor work?

A series motor works by using the interaction between the magnetic fields generated by the armature and field windings to produce motion. As the current flows through the windings, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor, causing the armature to rotate.

3. What is the efficiency of a series motor?

The efficiency of a series motor can vary depending on the specific design and operating conditions. However, on average, series motors have an efficiency of around 75-85%. This means that 75-85% of the input electrical energy is converted into mechanical energy.

4. How is the efficiency of a series motor calculated?

The efficiency of a series motor is calculated by dividing the output power (mechanical energy produced) by the input power (electrical energy supplied). This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. The formula for efficiency is: Efficiency = (Output power / Input power) x 100%.

5. What factors can affect the efficiency of a series motor?

The efficiency of a series motor can be affected by various factors such as the design of the motor, the quality of the materials used, the operating temperature, and the load placed on the motor. Additionally, the quality of the power supply and the maintenance of the motor can also impact its efficiency.