Should I major in Aerospace engineering or Computer Science?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to decide between majoring in computer science or aerospace engineering. They mention their interest in both fields and ask about job stability and pay. They also mention their experience with Java and their math skills. The other person responds by saying the decision depends on the individual and suggests taking introductory courses in both fields to get a better idea of what they enjoy. The conversation is then closed and redirected to a different thread.
Goopy17
Hi,
I'm not sure what I should major in. They both interest me a lot. How is the job stability? How is the pay? I know how to write in Java, but I can learn more before college (I have a year). What is you input on this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think I would be good at computer science?

Hi, I'm trying to decide what to major in next year and I'm stuck between Computer science and Aerospace Engineering. I know a little java code. I am super good at math and get A's on every test throughout high school (I'm going to be a senior next year). Math is super easy to me and I don't have to study it for the test. Once I figure out how to do it, I know how to do it. Do you think computer science will be good for me? What about Aerospace Engineering?
Thanks

The answer to that depends entirely on you. There's many different avenues you can take with a math background. Did you really enjoy the programming you did in Java? Why are you considering aerospace engineering? Do you know much about the field?

If you're dead-set on majoring in CS or AE, take an into-level engineering course and CS course freshman year. You should get a decent idea of what you'll really like.

Two threads have been merged, and a third duplicate thread without any responses has been deleted.

1. Should I choose Aerospace engineering or Computer Science as my major?

Both Aerospace engineering and Computer Science are highly specialized and in-demand fields, so it ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Consider what type of work you enjoy, your strengths in math and science, and the job market for each field before making a decision.

2. Which major has better job prospects?

Both Aerospace engineering and Computer Science offer promising career opportunities. Aerospace engineers work in industries such as aviation, defense, and space exploration, while computer scientists can find jobs in a variety of fields such as software development, data science, and artificial intelligence. It's important to research the job market and determine which field aligns with your career goals.

3. Which major is more difficult?

Both Aerospace engineering and Computer Science require strong math and problem-solving skills, so the level of difficulty may vary for each individual. Aerospace engineering may involve more hands-on and technical work, while Computer Science may require more abstract thinking and programming skills. It's important to choose a major that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.

4. Can I double major in Aerospace engineering and Computer Science?

It is possible to double major in Aerospace engineering and Computer Science, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. Both majors have specific course requirements, so it's important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the feasibility of a double major and create a plan to complete both majors within a reasonable timeframe.

5. What are the potential career paths for each major?

Aerospace engineering and Computer Science offer a wide range of career opportunities. Aerospace engineers can work in fields such as aircraft design, spacecraft development, and defense systems. Computer Science graduates can pursue careers in software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, and many other industries. It's important to research and consider your interests and strengths when choosing a career path within each major.