Quadratics Homework Help: Solving for Specific Points in Time

• Thread starter benjaminxx12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, to solve for specific points in time, you need to set the vertical displacement (y) to the desired value and then solve the resulting equation for x. This can be done using the quadratic equation or by factoring the expression. When factoring, be careful to correctly factor out the coefficient (-5) and adjust the constant term accordingly to maintain consistency with the original equation.
benjaminxx12

Homework Statement

I am meant to look for both points when thiobject is 6m above the ground

the equation is

-5x^2+10x+2=6

my question is how do i solve it for specific points in time,
Do i just make the y term 0 and solve from there?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-5x^2 +10x -4

-5(x-1)^2-5=0

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm guessing [itex] y [/itex] is the vertical displacement and [itex] x [/itex] is some other parameter (the point or points you want to find at which [itex] y = 6[/itex]m). Thus you need to solve for [itex] x [/itex] given [itex] y = 6 [/itex]m.

So all you need to do is solve the equation for [itex] x [/itex] like you have already started doing (either using the quadratic equation or by factorizing like you have done). You have however made a slight mistake in your factoring.

It should be

[itex] -5{(x-1)}^2 + 1=0 [/itex]

Multiply this out and you should see that this gives you the original expression.

From this it is clear that (subtract 1 and divide by -5 on both sides).

[itex] {(x-1)}^2 = \frac{1}{5} [/itex]

[itex] x-1 = \pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{5}} [/itex]

[itex] x = 1 \pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{5}} [/itex]

You could also have used the quadratic equation:

[itex] x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} [/itex]

To solve the general quadratic: [itex] ax^2 + bx + c = 0 [/itex].
Thus in your case we solve for x like so...

[itex] x = \frac{-10 \pm \sqrt{10^2-4(-5)(-4)}}{2(-5)} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{-10 \pm \sqrt{100-80}}{-10} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{-10 \pm \sqrt{20}}{-10} [/itex]

[itex] = 1 \mp \sqrt{\frac{20}{100}} [/itex]

[itex] = 1 \mp \sqrt{\frac{1}{5}} [/itex]

Last edited:

Thank you for the help, I am just curious as to where you get the +1 constant from.

nvm, after revision i found your answer to be correct.
You have my gratitude. :D

Last edited:

In case the +1 is still bothering you, consider first the expression that you ended up with.

[itex] -5{(x-1)}^2-5=0 [/itex]

This expression should be consistent with the original, when one multiplies out to see if it does agree with the initial equation one gets.

[itex] -5x^2 -5(-2x) -5(1) -5= 0 [/itex]

[itex] -5x^2 +10x -5 -5= 0 [/itex]

We see now that in order to get -4 and not -10 we need to replace the -5 with a +1.

1. What are the basic concepts of quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are algebraic equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants. The highest power of the variable x is 2, and this is what makes it a quadratic equation. The graph of a quadratic equation forms a parabola, which is a U-shaped curve.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method you use will depend on the complexity of the equation and personal preference. It is important to note that quadratic equations can have zero, one, or two real solutions.

3. What is the difference between a quadratic function and a quadratic equation?

A quadratic function is a mathematical rule that maps input values to output values. It can be represented by a graph or an equation. On the other hand, a quadratic equation is an algebraic equation that is used to find the input values that produce a specific output value. In other words, a quadratic function is a relationship, while a quadratic equation is a tool for solving problems.

4. What are some real-life applications of quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. Some real-life applications include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, and determining the profit-maximizing quantity for a business. They can also be used to model the growth or decay of populations or the spread of diseases.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve quadratic equations?

Yes, most scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions for solving quadratic equations. However, it is important to understand the concepts and methods for solving quadratic equations by hand, as this will help in understanding and interpreting the results. Additionally, some problems may require using a calculator to approximate the solutions, while others may need to be solved algebraically.