Putnam problem from 1949 - lim sup

• Thread starter jbunniii
  • Start date
In summary, the Putnam problem asks for a function that when evaluated grows unboundedly large as n gets larger. There exists a number k so large that the function's right-hand side is larger than a_n/n.
jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is a nice Putnam problem from the 1949 exam. It also appears as challenge problem 2.14.16 in Thomson, Bruckner and Bruckner, Elementary Real Analysis. I think I solved it correctly, but it seemed a little too easy so if anyone would like to check my solution, I would appreciate it.

Homework Statement

Let [itex](a_n)[/itex] be an arbitrary sequence of real, positive numbers. Show that

[tex]\limsup_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left(\frac{a_1 + a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right)^n \geq e[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]e = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose not. Then there exists [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that

[tex]\left(\frac{a_1 + a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right)^n \leq \alpha < e[/tex]

for all [itex]n \geq N[/itex]. Also, there exists [itex]M \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that

[tex]\left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n > \alpha[/tex]

for all [itex]n \geq M[/itex]. Therefore, for all [itex]n \geq \max(N,M)[/itex], we have

[tex]0 < \left(\frac{a_1 + a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right)^n < \left(1 + \frac{1}{n}\right)^n[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]0 < \frac{a_1 + a_{n+1}}{a_n} < 1 + \frac{1}{n} = \frac{n+1}{n}[/tex]

After rearrangement, this is equivalent to

[tex]\frac{a_n}{n} - \frac{a_{n+1}}{n+1} > \frac{a_1}{n+1}[/tex]

This inequality holds for all [itex]n \geq \max(M,N)[/itex]. If I write out the inequality for [itex]n[/itex] through [itex]n+k-1[/itex], and then sum these inequalities, then the LHS telescopes, and I obtain

[tex]\frac{a_n}{n} - \frac{a_{n+k}}{n+k} > \sum_{j = n}^{n+k-1}\frac{a_1}{j+1}[/tex]

This holds for any positive integer [itex]k[/itex]. If I hold [itex]n[/itex] fixed and let [itex]k[/itex] grow large, the right hand side is unbounded. In particular, there is some [itex]k[/itex] so large that the right-hand side is larger than [itex]a_n/n[/itex]. Thus for that [itex]k[/itex], we have

[tex]\frac{a_n}{n} - \frac{a_{n+k}}{n+k} > \frac{a_n}{n}[/tex]

or equivalently

[tex]\frac{a_{n+k}}{n+k} < 0[/tex]

and thus

[tex]a_{n+k} < 0[/tex]

This is a contradiction because the sequence contains only positive numbers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me.

I'm happy with it.

Cool, thanks for taking the time to check it out.

1. What is the Putnam problem from 1949?

The Putnam problem from 1949 is a famous unsolved problem in mathematics, specifically in the field of analysis. It was first posed by mathematician and philosopher Hilary Putnam in 1949 and has been a subject of much interest and research since then.

2. What does "lim sup" stand for in the Putnam problem from 1949?

"lim sup" stands for "limit superior" in the Putnam problem from 1949. It is a mathematical concept used to determine the largest possible limit of a sequence or a function.

3. Why is the Putnam problem from 1949 considered difficult?

The Putnam problem from 1949 is considered difficult because it has stumped mathematicians for over 70 years. Despite numerous attempts and approaches, a solution to the problem has not yet been found. It requires a deep understanding of analysis and the ability to think creatively and outside the box.

4. Has any progress been made on the Putnam problem from 1949?

While a complete solution to the Putnam problem from 1949 has not been found, there have been some partial solutions and progress made towards understanding the problem. Some mathematicians have also proposed potential strategies for tackling the problem, but it remains unsolved.

5. What is the significance of the Putnam problem from 1949?

The Putnam problem from 1949 is significant because it has been a source of inspiration and challenge for mathematicians for decades. It has also led to the development of new techniques and ideas in the field of analysis. Additionally, a solution to the problem could have important implications in various areas of mathematics and other fields.