Exploring Post-Graduation Career Options in Theoretical Physics and Pure Math

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academia
In summary: I think it was a little bit difficult to formulate a question that didn't have a biased answer.In summary, I think it is difficult to find a job that does not involve intense learning or research, even if you only manage 1 hour/day. However, if you have the dedication and time, you can learn anything you want.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I am a little bit thinking of after graduating from msc and maybe even phd, what kind of jobs which aren't too intense are out there for people who want to continue learning theoretical physics and pure math?
I mean work that leaves you with enough spare time to keep learning maths and physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unemployment leaves you a lot of time to keep learning maths and physics. Being a professor forces you to.

So the answer is no, there aren't.

Can't say I am surprised.

OK, so umeployment or professorship here I come... :-)

Consultancy, banking, politics? Some physicists & mathematicians in my country end up as programmers/"IT guys" for banks or small businesses. Then again my country is in the sh*tter, so your chances may be a lot better.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
So the answer is no, there aren't.

Can't say I am surprised.

OK, so umeployment or professorship here I come... :-)

Your question is a poorly phrased one, with such ambiguous terms such as "enough," "too intense", and "learning." Depending on your definition of all three, pretty much any job fits your description. I don't really know how you expect people to give you a meaningful answer. You can make enough time for anything if you choose to.

I've been self-studying math/physics for over 10 years now. One thing is that you need to adjust your time frame and expectations. In school, you're talking multiple classes at the same time, and focussed full time on your studies. But you're only in school for a few years. Even with PhD, its ~10 years total in school.

Outside of academia, even if you only manage 1 hour/day in your studies, you have the rest of your life. Say conservatively 40 years. 1 hour/day for 40 years will accomplish a whole lot of self-study.

fss said:
Your question is a poorly phrased one, with such ambiguous terms such as "enough," "too intense", and "learning." Depending on your definition of all three, pretty much any job fits your description. I don't really know how you expect people to give you a meaningful answer. You can make enough time for anything if you choose to.

You correct, I was a little bit hasty on the submit button.

Anyway, to rephrase my question, how do you find time to keep learning maths and physics beyond your daily work which is outside academia, and does you learning of this material is meaningful to you, as in not just a cursory knowledge?

Thanks, and sorry for the ambiguous OP.

1. What are the job prospects for graduates in theoretical physics and pure math?

The job prospects for graduates in theoretical physics and pure math are quite promising. Many industries, including technology, finance, and government, are in need of professionals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are highly developed in these fields. Additionally, the demand for new discoveries and advancements in science and technology will continue to drive the need for theoretical physicists and pure mathematicians.

2. What are some common career paths for graduates in theoretical physics and pure math?

Common career paths for graduates in theoretical physics and pure math include research and development positions in government agencies, universities, and private companies. Other potential career options include data analysis, financial analysis, and consulting. Some graduates also choose to pursue further education, such as a PhD, to advance their research and academic careers.

3. How can I prepare for a career in theoretical physics and pure math during my studies?

To prepare for a career in theoretical physics and pure math, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical and scientific principles. Take advanced courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as well as physics and computer science. Additionally, participating in research projects and internships can provide valuable hands-on experience and help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any professional organizations or societies for theoretical physicists and pure mathematicians?

Yes, there are several professional organizations and societies for theoretical physicists and pure mathematicians. Some examples include the American Physical Society, the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. These organizations offer networking opportunities, conferences, and resources for career development.

5. Can a career in theoretical physics and pure math lead to other fields?

Yes, a career in theoretical physics and pure math can lead to other fields. The analytical and problem-solving skills acquired in these fields are highly transferable and can be applied to a wide range of industries, such as data science, engineering, and even business. Additionally, many theoretical physicists and pure mathematicians have successfully transitioned into careers in academia or teaching at the university level.