Using Dirac Bracket: Books & References for Examples

In summary: They provide a good overview of the Dirac bracket and its applications to constrained systems. [2] also provides a good treatment of the BRST symmetry and the canonical quantization of constrained systems. [4] is a book that covers the basics of Dirac quantization, including the use of the Dirac bracket. [5] is a book that goes into more detail about the use of the Dirac bracket in constrained systems.
aries0152
I have searched in web and go through some papers. But the use of Dirac Bracket in constraint still unclear to me. It would be better if I have some examples.

Can anyone please help me by suggesting books/references where I can find details about using Dirac Bracket?

Physics news on Phys.org
aries0152 said:
But the use of Dirac Bracket in constraint still unclear to me.
Can anyone please help me by suggesting books/references where I can find details about using Dirac Bracket?

What do you mean by constraint? Plz elaborate

Wikipedia article is reasonably good.

The Dirac bracket provides the means to develop the Hamiltonian formalism for any Lagrangian system, for it generalizes the symplectic structure on the phase space. It can therefore serve as a tool in quantization of constrained systems.

There are a few books dealing with this subject that I know of, but I only reccomend Dirac's 1964 lectures and Henneaux & Teitelboim's <Quantization of Gauge Systems>. The latter contains an extended treatment of the BRST symmetry which is an alternative to the Dirac bracket for 1st class systems.

You could see Weinberg I, chapter 7,8 to find examples. In simple words, the idea to quantize constrained systems is to do canonical transformations, making constraints the forms that just fix the values of several couples of conjugate variables, and to remove these couples. This method is equal to using Dirac brackets, of which details can be found in Weinberg I, and generally we'll use Dirac brackets. To addition, since poisson brackets could not be changed because of canonical transformations, 1st class constraints usually mean a lack of constraints to constrain both a variable and its conjugation, so we should add certain gauges as additional constraints.

A good paper to start on this topic is http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9606031
Then move onto the couple of textbooks on Dirac Quantization.

Here's the references used for a half-complete set of notes I wrote up on Dirac's canonical quantization.

[1] P. A. M. Dirac, “Lectures on Quantum Mechanics,” Belfer Graduate School of Science Monograph Series (1964)
[2] H. J. Matschull, “Dirac’s canonical quantization programme,” arXiv:quant-ph/9606031.
[3] K. Sundermeyer, “Constrained Dynamics With Applications To Yang-Mills Theory, General Relativity, Classical
Spin, Dual String Model,” Lect. Notes Phys. 169 (1982) 1.
[4] M. Henneaux and C. Teitelboim, “Quantization of gauge systems,” Princeton, USA: Univ. Pr. (1992) 520 p
[5] A. Hanson, T. Regge and C. Teitelboim, “Constrained Hamiltonian systems,” Accademia nazionale dei lincei
(1976)

Dirac's lecture notes [1] are a good read.

1. What is a Dirac bracket?

A Dirac bracket is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of a system. It is an extension of the Poisson bracket, which is used in classical mechanics. The Dirac bracket accounts for the non-commutativity of operators in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Dirac bracket used in physics?

The Dirac bracket is used to calculate the equations of motion for physical systems in quantum mechanics. It allows for the incorporation of quantum effects, such as uncertainty and non-commutativity, into the equations of motion.

3. What are some examples of applications of the Dirac bracket?

Some examples of applications of the Dirac bracket include the study of quantum systems with constraints, such as the hydrogen atom, and the analysis of gauge theories, such as quantum electrodynamics.

4. Are there any books or references that provide examples of using the Dirac bracket?

Yes, there are many books and references available that provide examples of using the Dirac bracket. Some popular ones include "Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki.

5. Is the Dirac bracket the only method for calculating the equations of motion in quantum mechanics?

No, there are other methods for calculating the equations of motion in quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg equation. However, the Dirac bracket is a powerful and widely used tool in the field that allows for a more comprehensive understanding of quantum systems.