Reacting CO2 with CaO and Boric Oxide

• Thread starter dg_5021
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary: So elemental behavior does not always reflect molecular behavior.In summary, boric oxide is amphoteric, so you might expect a similar reaction between it and carbon dioxide, but if it's only an acidic oxide, I doubt that you'll have a reaction.
dg_5021
When I react CO2 with CaO I get CaCO3. If I react boric oxide with CO2 would it react similarly like the other one?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Boric oxide (B2O3) may be amphoteric. If it is, then you might expect a similar reaction ...but if it's only an acidic oxide, I doubt that you'll have a reaction.

I'm probably wrong on this...let's wait for the experts to come along...

so would I get B2CO4?

Boric oxide's acidic, so you aren't likely to get any reaction, and even if you did the product would be unstable and would easily decompose back to boric oxide and carbon dioxide.

Pyrovus is right. I have no knowledge on boric oxide , but the nearest compound is boric acid, [itex] \displaystyle H_3BO_3[/itex], or better written as [itex]\displaystyle B(OH)_3[/itex]. However, borax, [itex]\displaystyle Na_2B_4O_7 [/itex] is a cage-framework polyboric oxide. If you react this one with carbon dioxide, sodium carbonate will probably formed, resulting a cleavage inside the cage.

so i wouldn't get similar react I would just get no reaction?

You'd better look up Lux' Acid and Base concept; non protonic compounds (very generally, oxides) can behave acid or base according to some rules. In here, I presume that carbon dioxide is the acid, and boric oxide is also acidic; that's why I am doubtful about any reaction, like Gokul.

Gokul43201 said:
Boric oxide (B2O3) may be amphoteric...
Boron is amphoteric:

"MATERIAL OVERVIEW

"Characteristics: Nonmetallic element, black, hard solid; brown, amorphous powder; crystals. Highly reactive. Soluble in concentrated nitric acid and sulfuric acid; insoluble in water, alcohol, and ether. High neutron absorption capacity. Low toxicity. Amphoteric..."

http://www.espimetals.com/metals/catboron.htm

However, I don't think that necessarily means that PARTICULAR oxide will form both acids and bases.

In building up a compound, elemental properties drastically change. So we cannot devise a logic from there. Look at the example of water; hydrogen is a flammable gas, oxygen is a ignitor gas; water is a extinguisher.

1. What is the purpose of reacting CO2 with CaO and Boric Oxide?

The purpose of this reaction is to produce calcium carbonate (CaCO3) and boric acid (H3BO3) as end products, which have various industrial and commercial applications.

2. How is the reaction between CO2, CaO, and Boric Oxide carried out?

The reaction is typically carried out at high temperatures (around 800-1000°C) in the presence of a catalyst, such as magnesium oxide (MgO), to increase the rate of reaction. The reactants are usually mixed together in a furnace or reactor and heated until the desired products are formed.

3. What are the main factors that affect the reaction between CO2, CaO, and Boric Oxide?

The main factors that affect this reaction include temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the rate of reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy required for the reaction to occur.

4. What are the potential environmental impacts of this reaction?

The reaction between CO2, CaO, and Boric Oxide has the potential to reduce carbon emissions by capturing and converting CO2 into a solid form. However, the use of high temperatures and energy in the reaction can still have some environmental impact.

5. Can the products of this reaction be used in other processes?

Yes, the products of this reaction (CaCO3 and H3BO3) have various industrial and commercial applications. For example, calcium carbonate can be used in the production of cement, while boric acid is used in the production of glass, ceramics, and detergents.