Finding Critical Point of f(x) with f(0) = 0

In summary: By showing that g(x) is always greater than x^2 for all x. This shows that x=0 is not a local minimum. 2. By showing that h(x) is always greater than x+2f(x) for all x. This shows that x=0 is not a local maximum. 3. By showing that h'(0)>0, but h is not monotone increasing on any interval that includes 0. This shows that x=0 is not an inflection point.
cateater2000
let f(x)=sin(1/x)*x^2 for x not 0, and f(0)=0. show that x=0 is a critical point for f which is neither a local minimum, a local maximum, nor an inflection point.

well I tried differentiating this, and got f'=-cos(1/x) +2xsin(1/x). to find a critical point i make f'=0. Not sure how to do this. Do I take the limx->0?

Any hints or tips would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done here, is to find the derivative of f at all points EXCEPT at x=0!
But you are to find f'(0)...
Use the definition of the derivative.

k thanks i'll try that

If you're a bit unsure what I mean, the definition of f'(0) is:
[tex]f'(0)=\lim_{h\to{0}}\frac{f(0+h)-f(0)}{h}[/tex]

yeh i got that to work, now how do I show that it's not a local min,max or inflection. Would I look at the second derivative? If that's not defined it's not anything?

cateater2000 said:
yeh i got that to work, now how do I show that it's not a local min,max or inflection. Would I look at the second derivative? If that's not defined it's not anything?
The standard second-derivative fails, since the first derivative is discontinuous at x=0 (the 2.derivative is not defined).

It remains to be shown that f(0) is not a local maximum/minimum.
This should be fairly easy to show..

Use, for example, the following definition of local maximum:
We say that a function f has a local maximum at [tex]x_{0}[/tex], iff there exists a [tex]\delta>0[/tex] so that for all [tex]x\in{D}(x_{0},\delta),f(x)\leq{f}(x_{0})[/tex]
I've assumed that the x's in the open [tex]\delta[/tex]-disk are in the domain of f, as is the case in your problem.

Note that this definition makes no assumption of differentiability or continuity of f.

Last edited:
ok i finished that part of the question.( this is a 4 part question)

I can't figure out these 2 parts. Any tips would be fantastic
f(x)=x^2*sin(1/x)
1.let g(x)=2x^2 +f(x) (f from the first question i asked)

Show g has a global minimum at x=0 but g'(x) changes sign infinitely often on both (0,e) and (-e,0) for any e>0.

For this question I can easily show 0 is a critical point. But when I show it's a minimum is what's difficult, when I differentiate twice I cannot see that f''(0)>0

2. Let h(x)=x+2f(x). Show h'(0)>0, but h is not monotone increasing on any interval that includes 0.

I know how to show h'(0)>0 but have no idea how to show it's monotone increasing.

Again any help would be fantastic
thanks in advance

Show that for 1., g(x)>=x^2 for ALL x.
How can that help you in showing that x=0 must be a global minimum?

1. How do you find the critical point of a function?

To find the critical point of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting value is the critical point.

2. What does the critical point represent in a function?

The critical point represents the point where the slope of the function is zero. This means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at this point, and it is a potential location for a maximum or minimum value.

3. Can a function have multiple critical points?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points. This means that the function has multiple points where the slope is zero, and each of these points should be evaluated to determine if they are maximum or minimum values.

4. How does having f(0) = 0 affect finding the critical point?

Having f(0) = 0 means that the function passes through the origin, or the point (0,0). This does not affect the process of finding the critical point, but it can provide additional information when analyzing the function.

5. What is the significance of finding the critical point of a function?

Finding the critical point allows us to identify potential maximum or minimum values of a function. These points can be used to optimize the function or understand its behavior. Additionally, the critical point can provide insights into the behavior of the function around that point.