Help with handling fractional powers in equations

• Thread starter JB34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fractional
In summary, the conversation was about solving equations with fractional powers, specifically the equations [1/2] x y^[1/2] = sqrt[[z] over [x y^-1/2]] and [2/3] x y^[-1/3] = sqrt[[z] over [x y^2/3]]. The conversation included a discussion on the laws of exponents and how to simplify equations by removing square roots and using the power of a power rule. The conversation also included an attempt at solving one of the equations, with feedback given on a mistake made in the process. Overall, the individual was seeking guidance on how to best handle fractions in equations with fractional powers.
JB34
Hello, I'm pretty rusty when it comes to rearranging more complex equations and can't seem to remember how to deal with fractions as powers, for example;

[1/2] x y^[1/2] = sqrt[[z] over [x y^-1/2]]

and

[2/3] x y^[-1/3] = sqrt[[z] over [x y^2/3]]

I'm trying to solve a similar, but more complex, equation and am really stuck on how the fractions should be best handled in problems of this type. If someone could give me some guidance on solving my examples for x it might make things click for me!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what your equations are supposed to look like...either my browser is not rendering them well or something, but they don't even make sense to me, can't make out much...are you attempting to use latex or something? can you attempt to express them with simple text and a few parenthesis?

Sorry, it's shorthand from an equation editor, quite similar to latex, I'm so used to reading it that I didn't think to make it clearer :redface:

So there are three variables here, x, y & z in each equation but the equations do not complement each other, they are individual examples... my first attempt at latex:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}x y^{{1}/{2}} = \sqrt{\frac{z}{{x y^{-1/2}}}}[/itex]

and

[itex]\frac{2}{3}x y^{{-1}/{3}} = \sqrt{\frac{z}{{x y^{2/3}}}}[/itex]

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is get rid of the square roots by squaring both sides of the equations. Now, the question is, what are you trying to do with the equations? Solve for one of the variables? Which one?

Do you know the "laws of exponents"? [itex]a^m a^n= a^{m+ n}[/itex], [itex](a^m)^n= a^{mn}[/itex], [itex]a^{-1}= 1/a[/itex]. You will need to use those.

Also note: [itex] x^{a/b} = (x^a)^{1/b} = \sqrt{x^a}[/itex]

This format comes from the "power of a power" rule. For x > 0 ...
[itex] (x^{1/n})^n = x^{n \cdot 1/n } = x^1 = x[/itex]
and also [itex] (\sqrt[n]{x})^n = x[/itex]
so reciprocal powers must be the same as roots.

As in my original post I'm looking at solving for x.

Thanks for the pointers so far, I am familiar with the laws of exponents but like I said I'm very rusty, I probably haven't had to solve an equation with fractions for 10 years!

Right so taking my first one...

I was thinking along the lines of...

dividing both sides by [itex]y^{{1}/{2}}[/itex] gives:

[itex]\frac{1}{2} x = \sqrt{\frac{z}{{x y}}}[/itex]

multiplying both sides by [itex]2 x[/itex] gives:

[itex] x^{2} = \sqrt{\frac{2 z}{y}}[/itex]

square root both sides to give:

[itex] x = \sqrt[3]{\frac{2z}{{y}}}[/itex]

Have I lost the plot or is that solution sound?

Last edited:
I think you have made a mistake in the very first step...

when you divide by y1/2, you have the term on the left side of the equation just fine; but on the right one, you are forgetting to square y1/2 before you bringing into the square root already there, so that you can then add the exponents with the y-1/2 in there...needless to say, it does not work out that way you have it.

Looking back at it you're right, I did say I was rusty!

I've only got a couple of days to try and get my head around this ... not looking good :(

ok so back to the beginning...

remove the squareroot by squaring both sides...

[itex](\frac{1}{2})^{2}x^{2} y = \frac{z}{{x y^{-1/2}}}[/itex]

simplified...

[itex]\frac{1}{4}x^{2} y = \frac{z}{{x y^{-1/2}}}[/itex]

multiply by 4 x...

[itex]x^{3} y = \frac{4 z}{{y^{-1/2}}}[/itex]

divide by [itex]y[/itex]...

[itex]x^{3} = \frac{4 z}{{y^{1/2}}}[/itex]

cube root...

[itex]x = \sqrt[3]{\frac{4 z}{{y^{1/2}}}}[/itex]

Hmmm, any feedback, this still doesn't feel right.

Last edited:
If someone could go through one of the two examples, how they would tackle it, that really would help, ultimately I only need to solve a couple of problems and then I probably won't use fractional powers for years again :frown:

Last edited:

1. How do I simplify a fractional power in an equation?

To simplify a fractional power, you can use the rule that states "a fractional power is equivalent to the nth root of the base raised to the power of the numerator". For example, to simplify 4^(3/2), you can write it as the square root of 4 raised to the power of 3, which is equal to 8.

2. Can I add or subtract fractional powers in an equation?

Yes, you can add or subtract fractional powers as long as the bases are the same. If the bases are different, you will need to simplify them first before adding or subtracting.

3. How do I solve an equation with fractional powers?

To solve an equation with fractional powers, you can either use the rule mentioned in question 1 or you can convert the fractional power into a decimal by using a calculator. Then, you can solve the equation as you would with regular numbers.

4. How do I handle negative fractional powers in an equation?

Negative fractional powers can be handled by using the rule that states "a negative fractional power is equivalent to the reciprocal of the nth root of the base raised to the power of the absolute value of the numerator". For example, -4^(3/2) can be written as 1/(square root of 4 raised to the power of 3), which is equal to 1/8.

5. Can I use fractional powers in exponential functions?

Yes, fractional powers can be used in exponential functions. In fact, they are commonly used in exponential growth or decay problems, where the exponent represents a fractional change over time. For example, an exponential function with a fractional power of 1/2 can represent a half-life or a growth rate of 50% per time unit.