Learning math from a historical perspective?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in learning math from a historical perspective, starting with Euclid and working up to Descartes. They mention a reading list including works such as Euclid's Elements, Archimedes' works, and Diophantus' Arithmetica. The speaker also mentions the difficulty of finding translated versions of older historical books and asks for a website to help with this. They also recommend searching for a "history of math course" to find more reading materials. Another suggestion is the book "God created the integers" by Stephen Hawking, which includes extracts from the works of various mathematicians.
homeylova223
I am interested in learning math from a historical perspective. Starting with euclid and working myself up to descartes. I am thinking of a reading list to use and this is what I think I will use. I have taken math classes all the way up to calc 2 so I am not an expert and I am doing this just as side project.

1.Euclid Elements

2.The works of archimedes

3. Apollonious Conic sections

4. Diophantus Arithmetica

5. Fibbionaci Libri abbaci and his book on squares

6.Ars Magna

7. The geometry of Rene Descartes

And obviously some book on trigonometry.

The only thing is that while some of these books are cheap older historical books are difficult to find and may not be translated into english and I dislike reading books online I do not know why.

What I need is a website to find old books.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
You can also google "history of math course" and you'll find a couple universities which teach the course. Just scan through the different course webpages and I'm sure you can accumulate a pretty good list of whatever historical 'documents', or books, that you'd like to read.

Note: if you really want to understand the historical readings, it's generally recommended that you know basic abstract algebra or real analysis, although it of course depends on the book you're reading. A basic understanding of math from the main fields should make you able to understand them at a better perspective.

I liked the book "God created the integers" by Stephen Hawking. It tells you a bit about the person, then extracts from their best work translated into english. It has a bunch of the people you mentioned too.

I think it is a great idea to learn math from a historical perspective. It can provide a deeper understanding of how mathematical concepts and theories have evolved over time. Your reading list looks comprehensive and covers important mathematicians and their works. It is also impressive that you have taken math classes up to calc 2, as it will provide a solid foundation for your historical learning.

In terms of finding old books, I would recommend checking out online resources such as Project Gutenberg or Google Books. These websites offer a wide range of digitized books, including historical mathematical texts. You can also try searching for specific books on websites like Amazon or AbeBooks, which specialize in selling rare and out-of-print books.

Additionally, you can also visit your local library or university library to see if they have any of the books on your list available. Some libraries may also offer interlibrary loan services where they can borrow books from other libraries for you.

Overall, I think your approach to learning math from a historical perspective is commendable and I wish you all the best in your side project. It is always beneficial to expand our knowledge and understanding of different subjects, especially from a historical context. Good luck!

1. What is the importance of learning math from a historical perspective?

Studying the historical development of math allows us to understand the context in which mathematical concepts and theories were created. This can provide insight into the thought processes and motivations of mathematicians, and help us appreciate the significance and impact of their work on modern mathematics. Additionally, it can help us see the connections and evolution of mathematical ideas, leading to a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. How does learning math from a historical perspective affect our approach to problem-solving?

By examining how mathematicians in the past approached and solved problems, we can gain new perspectives and techniques for problem-solving. It also allows us to see the evolution of problem-solving strategies and how they have been refined over time. This can help us become more versatile and creative in our own approach to problem-solving.

3. What are some examples of significant historical developments in math?

There are many significant developments in math throughout history, but some notable examples include the discovery of trigonometry by ancient civilizations, the development of calculus by Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz, and the creation of non-Euclidean geometry by mathematicians such as Nikolai Lobachevsky and János Bolyai.

4. How can learning math from a historical perspective improve our understanding of other subjects?

Mathematics has had a huge impact on other fields such as science, engineering, and economics. By studying the historical development of math, we can see how it has been applied in various contexts and how it has influenced other subjects. This can help us make connections between different disciplines and gain a more holistic understanding of the world.

5. Are there any challenges in learning math from a historical perspective?

One challenge is the potential for bias or inaccuracies in historical accounts. It's important to critically evaluate sources and consider the cultural and societal context in which mathematical ideas were developed. Additionally, some mathematical concepts and notations have evolved over time, so it's important to be aware of these changes when studying historical texts.