Calculating Boat's Bearing After Changing Direction: Scalar and Vector HELP

In summary, the boat's heading was changed to 180 degrees, and it traveled for a further 2 hours at 5 knots. The boat's bearing from its original position is 60 degrees East of North.
IdleTorque
Scalar and Vector HELP please

A boat is traveling on a bearing of 25 degrees east of north at a speed of 5 knots ( a knot is 1.852km/hr). After traveling for 3 hours, the boat heading is changed to 180 degrees and it travels for a further 2 hours at 5 knots. What is the boat's bearing from its original position?

Someone help me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF. If you missed reading the rules go and do so. Basically, you have to attempt a problem and show what it is that is giving you trouble. For a problem like this, it is a good idea to draw a diagram that represents the facts of the stated problem. From there, explain what is giving you fits.

oh I'm new here and also new to physics..

I've drawn the diagram but Idk what scales to use cause how they using Knots and time in hours, and they also stating the conversion from knots to km/hr. I've tried a lot of assumptions but I just don't seem to get a right answer.

Since the answer is looking for a bearing, it does not matter if your displacement is in nautical miles or kilometers [EDIT: as long as you pick one and stay consistent with your choice] . the resulting angle will be the same. Nautical miles = knots * hours. What numbers are you getting and how are you getting them?

Last edited:

so use time as my scale representation? This should solve my question?

Your vector diagram should show 2 displacement vectors (please show if you can) which should be on a coordinate system with units (scale representation) of nautical miles OR km.

I stand corrected. Since the speed of the boat is constant, you could use time as your units on your diagram.

oho thanks for clearing it up for me. I got a reasonable answer which I believe is correct

A bearing of 60 degrees East of North.

Thank you oh great one.. Thank you very much

1. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be represented by a single numerical value, while vectors require both magnitude and direction to be fully described.

2. How are scalar and vector quantities measured?

Scalar quantities are measured using units of measurement such as meters, seconds, or kilograms. Vector quantities are measured using both a numerical value and a unit of measurement, as well as a direction, typically represented by an arrow.

3. What are some examples of scalar quantities?

Some examples of scalar quantities include temperature, mass, speed, and time. These quantities do not have a direction associated with them and can be described by a single number.

4. Can scalar and vector quantities be added or subtracted?

Yes, scalar quantities can be added or subtracted using basic arithmetic operations. Vector quantities can also be added or subtracted, but in order to do so, they must be in the same direction and have the same units of measurement.

5. How are scalar and vector quantities used in science?

Scalar and vector quantities are used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to describe and measure physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, which are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.