Am I understanding trigonometric solution correctly?

In summary, a trigonometric substitution is used to get rid of square roots or radicals in integrals. The goal is to manipulate the integral to one involving only the trigonometric function itself. To remember the algebraic equivalents for sin(arcsin(t)) and cos(arcsin(t)), it can be helpful to sketch a right triangle and label the sides according to the inverse trigonometric function.
1MileCrash
More of a general inquiry..

I was given some homework to do on trigonometric substitution. It looks to me like the goal is always to get an integral of 1 by itself, then replacing theta that results from integrating with it's x equivalent?

On my homework, as long as I made the right choice for substituting, I always got the integral of cos/cos or similar, which was 1, integrated was theta, which was found by solving my substitution for theta.

Physics news on Phys.org
The point of a trig substitution is to get rid of square roots or radicals. Or something squared plus something. In your case it became one but that doesn't happen all the time.

Okay, I've been working with a few more and I often get results like:

sin(arcsin t)
cos(arcsin t)

And results like that. Is there a good way to remember the algebraic equivalent for those?

1MileCrash said:
Okay, I've been working with a few more and I often get results like:

sin(arcsin t)
cos(arcsin t)

And results like that. Is there a good way to remember the algebraic equivalent for those?
For the first, sin(arcsin t) = t, subject to possible restrictions of the domain of the sine function.

For the second one, I personally don't think it's worthwhile to clutter my brain with a formula. Instead, sketch a right triangle one of whose acute angles represents arcsin(t). So you have a right triangle with [itex]\theta[/itex] as one of the acute angles.

Since [itex]\theta[/itex] = arcsin(t), then t = sin([itex]\theta[/itex]). You can label the opposite side as t, and the hypotenuse as 1. What's the length of the other side (the adjacent side)? IOW, what is cos([itex]\theta[/itex])? That will be the same as cos(arcsin(t)).

Square root one minus x squared?

1MileCrash said:
Square root one minus x squared?
You were asking about cos(arcsin(t)). There wasn't an x anywhere in sight.

1. What is a trigonometric solution?

A trigonometric solution is a method of solving problems involving triangles and their angles using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I know if I am understanding a trigonometric solution correctly?

To determine if you are understanding a trigonometric solution correctly, you should check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. You can also double check your work by using a calculator or asking a teacher or tutor for feedback.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving trigonometric problems?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric problems include forgetting to convert between degrees and radians, mixing up the inverse trigonometric functions, and miscalculating trigonometric ratios.

4. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometric solutions?

To improve your understanding of trigonometric solutions, you can practice solving various types of problems, review the basic concepts and formulas, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Are there any useful resources for learning about trigonometric solutions?

Yes, there are many useful resources for learning about trigonometric solutions. You can find online tutorials, practice problems, and videos, as well as textbooks and study guides. It may also be helpful to join a study group or attend a trigonometry workshop.